Nissan Ariya Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the car a few days ago. Upgraded from a 2019 Leaf.

The Ariya is stunning in nearly every way ... except for the ride. I feel every single slightest dip or bump or crack in the road. And even on relatively smooth side streets with a few smallish bumps, the car "bounces" off every.single.bump. making for an unpleasant experience indeed.

Even the Leaf had more of a forgiving nature regarding bumps and took them reasonably well.

The tires are 19" Bridgestone radials ... Alenza I think. I find the tires to be loud compared with the Michelin's I've had (and preferred) on most previous cars.

The rough and bouncy ride is driving me crazy. Where can I start to get this addressed? I want to go back to the dealer and have them work on the issue, but I need some ideas on what might be causing this first.

What can be changed on a new car to fix such concerns?

Any help would be appreciated!

36 Posts
I assume Ariya has conventional MacPherson struts in the front suspension. Get them to check the build on the struts and status of the shocks front and rear. Perhaps drive their demo Ariya to see if the issue is there too. Very odd. Shouldn't be the case.

169 Posts

The Ariya is stunning in nearly every way ... except for the ride. I feel every single slightest dip or bump or crack in the road. And even on relatively smooth side streets with a few smallish bumps, the car "bounces" off every.single.bump. making for an unpleasant experience indeed.

Even the Leaf had more of a forgiving nature regarding bumps and took them reasonably well.

The tires are 19" Bridgestone radials ... Alenza I think. I find the tires to be loud compared with the Michelin's I've had (and preferred) on most previous cars.

The rough and bouncy ride is driving me crazy. Where can I start to get this addressed? I want to go back to the dealer and have them work on the issue, but I need some ideas on what might be causing this first.

Congratulations on your new Ariya! As for the ride, perhaps one possibility could be the "drive mode" -- eco versus sport, etc... ?

22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume Ariya has conventional MacPherson struts in the front suspension. Get them to check the build on the struts and status of the shocks front and rear. Perhaps drive their demo Ariya to see if the issue is there too. Very odd. Shouldn't be the case.
Great advice, will have them check the struts and shocks.

I've read that a smaller tire will result in a better ride. Any thoughts on that?

22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations on your new Ariya! As for the ride, perhaps one possibility could be the "drive mode" -- eco versus sport, etc... ?
Great idea, but I'm pretty sure that the drive mode only affects the acceleration/performance, not the suspension in any way. But I'll give it a try to see if it makes any difference!

460 Posts

I think the suggestion to drive the dealer demo and then compare makes the most sense. Especially if the demo has the large battery as yours does. I test drove the dealers Engage 63 kw last week and found the ride very pleasing.

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
311 Posts
I think the suggestion to drive the dealer demo and then compare makes the most sense. Especially if the demo has the large battery as yours does. I test drove the dealers Engage 63 kw last week and found the ride very pleasing.
according to Bjorn, he felt the smaller battery Ariya drove a bit more pleasant than the long range battery Ariya

27 Posts

Something similar happened to me when I picked up my new Avalon hybrid about 2 years ago. The dealer had over inflated the tires by more than 4 psi. After I corrected this, the ride was nice and smooth. Please check the tire pressure. It may help.

460 Posts
according to Bjorn, he felt the smaller battery Ariya drove a bit more pleasant than the long range battery Ariya
I didn’t notice any difference as a passenger out on the roads up to 60mph at the ride and drive event last summer
Something similar happened to me when I picked up my new Avalon hybrid about 2 years ago. The dealer had over inflated the tires by more than 4 psi. After I corrected this, the ride was nice and smooth. Please check the tire pressure. It may help.
Good advice!

22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn’t notice any difference as a passenger out on the roads up to 60mph at the ride and drive event last summer

Good advice!
I would, except that the dealer has no demo Ariyas.

22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did check the tire pressure, they were right on spec at 46 psi. I let 2 psi out of each and it really did not help very much.
I was also wondering if the Bridgestone OE tires contribute to the problem? I'm used to cars with Michelin Defenders which seem to help both the ride and to keep the road noise down.

27 Posts
I did check the tire pressure, they were right on spec at 46 psi. I let 2 psi out of each and it really did not help very much.
I was also wondering if the Bridgestone OE tires contribute to the problem? I'm used to cars with Michelin Defenders which seem to help both the ride and to keep the road noise down.
To the best of my knowledge the tire pressure should be 38psi. I do not have an owner's manual to confirm this.

11 Posts
Without being too glib, I can assure you that you weren’t coming from daily driving a ‘22 Chevy Bolt EUV. Test driving the Nissan Ariya at the dealer was like a silent magic carpet ride of gentle smoothness compared to getting bucked around by pebbles on the road in my Bolt.

22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Without being too glib, I can assure you that you weren’t coming from daily driving a ‘22 Chevy Bolt EUV. Test driving the Nissan Ariya at the dealer was like a silent magic carpet ride of gentle smoothness compared to getting bucked around by pebbles on the road in my Bolt.
Drove a 2019 LEAF before this, that believe it or not took the bumps slightly better than the Aryia. Indeed, the roads here in MA are not well maintained at all. Having said that even the slightest bump is felt rather firmly in the cabin. For a car in the $40k-60k price range this should not be.
I have an appt at the dealer to see what they say. My expectations are low that they will be able to help, however it's a first step.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts