Nissan Ariya Forum banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

54 Posts
I would describe it as a rough and bumpy ride, like in a sports car. Driving on the same patch of bumpy road was a lot smoother in our 2014 Volt. Even my work Ford Transit drives smoother on the same patch.

Maybe it's a mis-expectation from me since I though this car would be more plush vs sporty from all the online reviews.

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
336 Posts
Hank - what tire pressure are you running? We have a Premier and in my opinion it rides rough, not crashy like a Tesla Y, but not as good as our old 2014 Volt.
I don't own the Ariya yet. Hope to pick it up before Feb 7th per Linda. Are you the ones who were the first to buy the Ariya at Tustin Nissan?

480 Posts
Heres the video from Bjorn. You can fast forward to marker 5:00. This video is a summary of his experience between 63/87 battery

I remember watching both of Bjorn’s videos testing the 63 and 87. Also remember his comments regarding his perception of a softer ride in the Ariya with the smaller battery. However I’m not convinced that Bjorn’s perception of ride quality here can be a fair representation compared to mwoffenden’s Venture + fitted with 19” wheels since both of Bjorn’s test vehicles were fitted with 20” wheels.

4 Posts
Just picked up the car a few days ago. Upgraded from a 2019 Leaf.

The Ariya is stunning in nearly every way ... except for the ride. I feel every single slightest dip or bump or crack in the road. And even on relatively smooth side streets with a few smallish bumps, the car "bounces" off every.single.bump. making for an unpleasant experience indeed.

Even the Leaf had more of a forgiving nature regarding bumps and took them reasonably well.

The tires are 19" Bridgestone radials ... Alenza I think. I find the tires to be loud compared with the Michelin's I've had (and preferred) on most previous cars.

The rough and bouncy ride is driving me crazy. Where can I start to get this addressed? I want to go back to the dealer and have them work on the issue, but I need some ideas on what might be causing this first.

What can be changed on a new car to fix such concerns?

Any help would be appreciated!
When I went to pick up my Venture +, I found the ride unacceptable. My 2020 Leaf S rode better. I rejected the car and already received my $500 deposit back.

336 Posts
When I went to pick up my Venture +, I found the ride unacceptable. My 2020 Leaf S rode better. I rejected the car and already received my $500 deposit back.
Im sorry. I find your post to be humorous. You’re expecting your tiny tiny Leaf sedan to drive as well as an Ariya SUV that is much taller and heavier with different suspension built specifically for an SUV? Seriously? What did you expect?

It’s like my father who went from a full size luxo Lexus LS430 sedan down to a tiny entry level Lexus CT200h and complains that his CT200h rides stiff, harsh, and very noisy vs his his luxo LS430. Do you find that humorous? Luckily, he’s hard of hearing at his age. ( BTW, he love his CT200h. He’s thinking of getting the new 2023 Prius XLE trim).

Fact Is, not everyone can afford a $50K car with or without $7500 incentives. The $7500 just barely covers tax and registration. Anyone can put down a refundable $500 at anytime. Whether they follow through on their order is another matter.

480 Posts
Im sorry. I find your post to be humorous. You’re expecting your tiny tiny Leaf sedan to drive as well as an Ariya SUV that is much taller and heavier with different suspension built specifically for an SUV? Seriously? What did you expect?

It’s like my father who went from a full size luxo Lexus LS430 sedan down to a tiny entry level Lexus CT200h and complains that his CT200h rides stiff, harsh, and very noisy vs his his luxo LS430. Do you find that humorous? Luckily, he’s hard of hearing at his age. ( BTW, he love his CT200h. He’s thinking of getting the new 2023 Prius XLE trim).

Fact Is, not everyone can afford a $50K car with or without $7500 incentives. The $7500 just barely covers tax and registration. Anyone can put down a refundable $500 at anytime. Whether they follow through on their order is another matter.
I find it bizarre that the Venture + trim tire pressure recommended by Nissan is 5 psi higher than what Nissan is recommending for the Premiere trim weighing more? Makes me wonder if the Venture is being fitted with different or possibly even cheaper tires that require more tire pressure? Of course slightly higher air pressure usually equates to greater range. Again are these elements responsible for how the Venture+ trim exceeded the magic 300 mile threshold? Also seems pretty damning to me the correlation of harsh ride is largely being reported by Venture + drivers. Conversely I’ve only read one report in this forum where a Premiere owner is returning to the dealer to see if their ride can be improved. So I can’t help but think that there is something to the harsh ride of the Venture + trim. Perhaps the firmer manual seating unique to the Venture + trim combined with 5psi higher tire air Pressure has created a harsher ride by comparison?
Lastly I’m thinking it would useful to take a survey within this forum to evaluate harsh ride reports by listing what brand/series tires Nissan is providing with each Ariya trim when each forum member takes delivery. If we were to start new thread on this matter would participating forum members here have enough interest to participate in such a survey?? Please give me your input!

480 Posts
I'm fine with it, and agree that it seems to be something that's different with the Venture+ but it's not obvious what that is. My Evolve+ came with Dunlop Grandtrek tires.
Thanks for your input atreus . If you wouldn’t mind I’ll start with your data and periodically post a spread sheet. Just need to get enough forum members to participate to generate a diverse sample size to draw any conclusions.

186 Posts
Thanks for your input atreus . If you wouldn’t mind I’ll start with your data and periodically post a spread sheet. Just need to get enough forum members to participate to generate a diverse sample size to draw any conclusions.
This will be interesting! When our Ariya arrives and if we do take delivery, I'd be happy to add to the info.

336 Posts
I find it bizarre that the Venture + trim tire pressure recommended by Nissan is 5 psi higher than what Nissan is recommending for the Premiere trim weighing more? Makes me wonder if the Venture is being fitted with different or possibly even cheaper tires that require more tire pressure? Of course slightly higher air pressure usually equates to greater range. Again are these elements responsible for how the Venture+ trim exceeded the magic 300 mile threshold? Also seems pretty damning to me the correlation of harsh ride is largely being reported by Venture + drivers. Conversely I’ve only read one report in this forum where a Premiere owner is returning to the dealer to see if their ride can be improved. So I can’t help but think that there is something to the harsh ride of the Venture + trim. Perhaps the firmer manual seating unique to the Venture + trim combined with 5psi higher tire air Pressure has created a harsher ride by comparison?
Lastly I’m thinking it would useful to take a survey within this forum to evaluate harsh ride reports by listing what brand/series tires Nissan is providing with each Ariya trim when each forum member takes delivery. If we were to start new thread on this matter would participating forum members here have enough interest to participate in such a survey?? Please give me your input!
I don’t know. I honestly think this subject matter is overblown. No one can define level of harshness subjectively. It depends what previous car they drove vs a brand new Ariya SUV. When I did my test drive with Engage +, it was butter smooth compared to my Volvo XC90 where I put aftermarket anti sway bar to stiffen up the suspension.

when in doubt, I cracked open the Ariya brochure. The curb weight seems about the same across all trims with just tiny deviation. However, it does appear the Venture is heavier since there is no moonroof in this trim. See attached.

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Paper

480 Posts
Just picked up the car a few days ago. Upgraded from a 2019 Leaf.

The Ariya is stunning in nearly every way ... except for the ride. I feel every single slightest dip or bump or crack in the road. And even on relatively smooth side streets with a few smallish bumps, the car "bounces" off every.single.bump. making for an unpleasant experience indeed.

Even the Leaf had more of a forgiving nature regarding bumps and took them reasonably well.

The tires are 19" Bridgestone radials ... Alenza I think. I find the tires to be loud compared with the Michelin's I've had (and preferred) on most previous cars.

The rough and bouncy ride is driving me crazy. Where can I start to get this addressed? I want to go back to the dealer and have them work on the issue, but I need some ideas on what might be causing this first.

What can be changed on a new car to fix such concerns?

Any help would be appreciated!
Mwoffenden -Would you mind verifying the tire brand that Nissan fitted on your Venture + trim.? You mentioned in your post that you thought they were Bridgestone Alenza series tires and I just wanted to verify that data for a forum survey I’m putting together. Also would be helpful if you can find a maximum tire pressure rating on your tires. Thanks in advance!

480 Posts
I don’t know. I honestly think this subject matter is overblown. No one can define level of harshness subjectively. It depends what previous car they drove vs a brand new Ariya SUV. When I did my test drive with Engage +, it was butter smooth compared to my Volvo XC90 where I put aftermarket anti sway bar to stiffen up the suspension.

when in doubt, I cracked open the Ariya brochure. The curb weight seems about the same across all trims with just tiny deviation. However, it does appear the Venture is heavier since there is no moonroof in this trim. See attached.

View attachment 1080
View attachment 1081
I test drove the Engage + as well about 10 days ago and I’m with you overall ride quality was great. I’m actually wondering if Nissan has switched things up with different tire brands and/or versions that roll with less resistance on the Venture + when combined with 5psi higher tire pressure as compared with the Evolve + or Premiere trims with the large battery. From what I can tell so far with very limited data, the owner of Venture+ trim (that started this thread ) was fitted with Bridgestone Alenza’s as compared to atreis who took delivery of their Evolve + that was fitted with Dunlop Grandtrek’s. I also suspect that the Engage trims that you and I test drove, since that trim is around 300 pounds lighter than the Evolve + or Premiere, it’s likely that the recommended tire pressure on that trim is 38 psi as viewed on the factory sticker in the Nissan‘s TPMS video. I do plan to view that sticker myself on the Engage trim demo next week at my local dealer next week.

480 Posts
41 - 60 of 115 Posts