Nissan Ariya Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

480 Posts
Dunlop Grandtrek PT21, 235/55R19

View attachment 1082
Thank you! Yours is the same as the limited reporting I’ve gotten back to date for the Evolve + trims. Conversely data may suggest that Venture + trims are being shipped with a different tire. To compound a rough ride for Venture owners the recommended tire pressure rating is 46psi which is + 5psi greater than recommended on your trim even though the Venture weighs less….hmmm.

· Super Moderator
275 Posts
atreis- Would you also verify if your Evolve+ trim has the same door sticker showing 41 psi recommended tire pressure as in the Premiere trim? Thanks!
It is, and rides very well at 42 psi (what it read when picked up) relative to my old 2015 Honda Pilot, my wife's 2014 Prius PlugIn, the kids' 2015 Prius C, and most other cars I've ever had (none luxury models).

70 Posts
I would not hesitate to look at the range of inflation the tire is approved for use at. If the tire supports, say, 38 PSI I would sure as heck drop it. PSI strongly affects compliance/ride quality and I would certainly trade off some range to get it.

I'd probably want to know weight over each axle too. and of substantially different I would drop the lighter axle the most.

70 Posts
Great advice, will have them check the struts and shocks.

I've read that a smaller tire will result in a better ride. Any thoughts on that?
That's incorrect. A smaller RIM, with a correspondingly larger sidewall, rides more softly as the increased tire sidewall acts as additional suspension. Meanwhile a smaller TIRE, with its decreased total diameter, would generally ride worse, although sidewall and tread stiffness also come into play.

Thus to increase ride softness/compliance one uses the smallest diameter rim with the largest aspect ratio viable, where "viable" means "doesn't rub" and "delivers acceptable speedometer accuracy" as well as "and isn't so heavy it hurts performance/efficiency".

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
336 Posts
Thank you! Yours is the same as the limited reporting I’ve gotten back to date for the Evolve + trims. Conversely data may suggest that Venture + trims are being shipped with a different tire. To compound a rough ride for Venture owners the recommended tire pressure rating is 46psi which is + 5psi greater than recommended on your trim even though the Venture weighs less….hmmm.
I was at Tustin Nissan today.

Venture + has Bridgestone Alenza Sports A/S tires Doors were locked

Premiere has Dunlop Grandtrek P21T tires. Doors were locked

I opened the driver door of the Evolve +. Placard shows 41 PSI.

23 Posts
My Venture+ tires arrived at 46psi and for the first few days, the ride was really rough - reminded me of the pothole-filled Pomona Ariya test experience despite driving on streets with few issues. Something settled, and now the ride is smoother. I haven’t checked psi, but suspect that might have had something to do with it.

480 Posts
I was at Tustin Nissan today.

Venture + has Bridgestone Alenza Sports A/S tires Doors were locked

Premiere has Dunlop Grandtrek P21T tires. Doors were locked

I opened the driver door of the Evolve +. Placard shows 41 PSI.
Thanks Hank. I had originally intended to put a spread sheet together, however the limited data I’ve collected so far is exactly what you found. Venture + trims are being shipped with Bridgestone Alenza (recommended tire pressure on Venture + placard is 46psi ) Conversely both the Evolve + and Premiere trims are being shipped with Dunlop Grandtrek (Nissan door placard recommends 41psi for both of those trims) That said I’m curious if Tustin still has the Engage trim with the small battery that you test drove a few weeks ago? If so did you happen to check the tire make/model and placard psi data on that trim? If you didn’t I’ll visit my dealer next week to get that info. off the Engage trim that they use as their demo. Since the Engage weighs a few hundred pounds less I’m thinking the tire pressure recommendation is likely around 38psi which possibly aided in the “smooth “ test drive experience that we both remember.

70 Posts
Plenty of vehicles using the Dunlop at 32psi... I'd consider looking for something of similar weight and adding 2-3 PSI to it for some extra margin.

Keep in mind the factory is looking for every erg of energy they can extract. As owners we're often not. Just make sure you keep a close eye on the tire load vs vehicle weight.

480 Posts
Plenty of vehicles using the Dunlop at 32psi... I'd consider looking for something of similar weight and adding 2-3 PSI to it for some extra margin.

Keep in mind the factory is looking for every erg of energy they can extract. As owners we're often not. Just make sure you keep a close eye on the tire load vs vehicle weight.
I agree with your logic and comments for the most part. However the question is how low can you reduce tire pressures before triggering aTPMS alert? That said, since the Venture trim recommends 46psi, seems logical to assume a low tire warning would be triggered even sooner than the other trims.

7 Posts
Greetings from Scotland. I’m driven 6,000 miles on my 87kWh Evolve model which is also on 19” Bridgestones. This is the top 2WD model in the UK and you can compare specifications with your local offerings with the following link.

While the high speed ride is composed on the Ariya the low speed compliance isn’t perfect across rough UK roads. I find there’s quite a bit of jiggling and head toss, but nothing terrible. It rides better than a Model Y in my opinion. I’d also comment that I find the traction on wet cold roads to be poor on the Bridgestones.

what I am curious about is that in the UK the door plate suggests 38PSI , increasing to 44PSI on the rear only when fully laden. This may explain the rough ride experienced when following the US rating.

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Transparency

480 Posts
Greetings from Scotland. I’m driven 6,000 miles on my 87kWh Evolve model which is also on 19” Bridgestones. This is the top 2WD model in the UK and you can compare specifications with your local offerings with the following link.

While the high speed ride is composed on the Ariya the low speed compliance isn’t perfect across rough UK roads. I find there’s quite a bit of jiggling and head toss, but nothing terrible. It rides better than a Model Y in my opinion. I’d also comment that I find the traction on wet cold roads to be poor on the Bridgestones.

what I am curious about is that in the UK the door plate suggests 38PSI , increasing to 44PSI on the rear only when fully laden. This may explain the rough ride experienced when following the US rating.

View attachment 1106
Thanks for sharing ScottishAriya. Your information is valuable and confirms (at least to me) that Nissan‘s seemingly high tire pressure recommendation on US Ariya models is their method of reaching EPA range target numbers. So you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to conclude that Venture + trim is able to reach our coveted 300 + miles EPA range target by merely adding more air (46psi) to the tires on the Venture trim. Drop the air pressure to 41 psi on the Evolve+ and Premiere trim in the US and we lose 15 miles of EPA range. Who knows, I suspect EPA range could drop another 10 miles if/when tires would be inflated to 38 psi. ? ? Regardless I prefer a softer ride vs squeeing out the very last drop of range. So once I take delivery of my Evolve + trim I intend to maintain my tires at 38 psi and just hope the lower tire pressures won’t trigger my US issued Ariya TPMS alert. Thanks again for sharing!

480 Posts
I agree with your conclusions. Good news on the TPMS question is that the target pressure is user configurable from the driver’s display. :)
That is good news indeed regarding being able to reconfigure TPMS target pressures on the Ariya. It will be interesting to learn how the US dealers try to deal with future ride complaints as the launch continues. I speculate that some Ariya owners (especially those with the Venture trim) may suspect a dealers integrity when they deflate tire pressures in order to remedy the rough ride complaint as it goes against the mfg. recommendation. Too soon to tell if there is a dealer service bulletin on the horizon?
Long term I also speculate that another unintended consequence of the higher recommended tire pressures at 46psi could cause uneven wear to the inside tread on Venture tires. 😳

186 Posts
That is good news indeed regarding being able to reconfigure TPMS target pressures on the Ariya. It will be interesting to learn how the US dealers try to deal with future ride complaints as the launch continues. I speculate that some Ariya owners (especially those with the Venture trim) may suspect a dealers integrity when they deflate tire pressures in order to remedy the rough ride complaint as it goes against the mfg. recommendation. Too soon to tell if there is a dealer service bulletin on the horizon?
Long term I also speculate that another unintended consequence of the higher recommended tire pressures at 46psi could cause uneven wear to the inside tread on Venture tires. 😳
Does anybody remember the old Ford Explorer and under inflated Firestone tire debacle from about twenty years ago? Lowered the pressure to reduce risk of roll over in a sharp turn, but the lower pressure meant weird wear and blow outs...

480 Posts
Does anybody remember the old Ford Explorer and under inflated Firestone tire debacle from about twenty years ago? Lowered the pressure to reduce risk of roll over in a sharp turn, but the lower pressure meant weird wear and blow outs...
Good point- I had forgotten about that one. This probably won’t be the last time that a manufacturer chooses to manipulate tire pressures to attain their end goal. The good news for Ariya owners is the higher recommended tire pressures as far as we know will only impact driving range and not a roll over risk…….or is it possible there could be a greater roll over risk at the higher US recommended tire pressures? It would be interesting to learn what tire pressure matrix was applied when the Ariya performed “The Moose Test”! 46psi or 38 psi?

186 Posts
Good point- I had forgotten about that one. This probably won’t be the last time that a manufacturer chooses to manipulate tire pressures to attain their end goal. The good news for Ariya owners is the higher recommended tire pressures as far as we know will only impact driving range and not a roll over risk…….or is it possible there could be a greater roll over risk at the higher US recommended tire pressures? It would be interesting to learn what tire pressure matrix was applied when the Ariya performed “The Moose Test”! 46psi or 38 psi?
Hopefully no greater risk. With a heavy battery down below maybe it helps to lower center of gravity and all.

480 Posts
Hopefully no greater risk. With a heavy battery down below maybe it helps to lower center of gravity and all.
Agreed. The Moose Test was actually performed with a small battery 63kw Ariya trim fitted with 20” wheels. Logic suggests that the 19” wheels/tires we are discussing here won’t perform as well as the 20’s that were applied in the Moose Test. You mentioned the early Ford Exploder having a tendency to roll over, I suggest the same treatment that Ford recommended then applies here for Ariya as well. ie better control in an emergency maneuver when tires are inflated to the lowest reasonable value. So just another reason I favor 38 PSI for all Ariya FWD as the target pressure.
Regardless Nissan‘s motivation in the US market to recommend Venture tires be inflated to 46psi is merely done to attain a target EPA range rating. By comparison recommended inflation values for Ariya FWD trims outside the US market where EPA ratings have no impact, are guided entirely by engineering logic and not skewed by any EPA parameters.
To that end some consider that the EPA has evolved into a bit of a monster. (Heck it was Richard Nixon’s brainstorm, so why question the value of the EPA, right?) Seriously the EPA s ability to generate valuable data is not on trial here. However, the down side to the EPA information is that many Americans (including myself at times) consider EPA information to be the best source in the US to evaluate data and ultimately arrive at a final decision making conclusion. Unfortunately since the EPA data in the Ariya example seems to have become skewed a bit by Nissan, there may be a few Ariya Venture buyers out there that may wished they had considered higher trim levels. That said I contend if a Venture + and Evolve + trims adjusted tire pressures the same, drive the same road under the same conditions (no drafting) even though the Venture + weighs 80 pounds less, range results would be identical.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts