Nissan Ariya Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

479 Posts
I have the same model and the label in the door says 41PSI, the dealership set them at 38PSI and I find the ride very smooth.
Interesting that your the first Venture in the forum reporting that the placard shows 41psi? Regardless glad to hear that your dealership made the reasonable choice to adjust your tire pressures to 38 psi allowing you to experience a smooth ride.

23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
I have the same model and the label in the door says 41PSI, the dealership set them at 38PSI and I find the ride very smooth.
How interesting ... thanks for the reply!

Here's my update. I visited the dealer today where I leased my Venture+ with the larger battery pack. They checked it over, pronounced it "fine" and found "no problems". This is what I expected to hear.

Looks like my solution would start with lowering the tire pressure from the recommended 46PSI (where it's currently set by the dealer) to 40. I do not load the car down very much (0-1 passengers and 200lbs of cargo maximum.).

Given my usage, does anyone see any safety concerns with 40PSI in the tires? My tires are Bridgestone Alenza 19". And how low is too low?

3 Posts
I experienced the same issue with very stiff ride. Fells like my liver is going to come apart:) I also checked air pressure thinking it was the culprit, was as prescribed in door. I am not sure what it is and what to do about it. I have a Honda Ridgeline that rides a little better, but still rough. Any suggestions.

186 Posts
How interesting ... thanks for the reply!

Here's my update. I visited the dealer today where I leased my Venture+ with the larger battery pack. They checked it over, pronounced it "fine" and found "no problems". This is what I expected to hear.

Looks like my solution would start with lowering the tire pressure from the recommended 46PSI (where it's currently set by the dealer) to 40. I do not load the car down very much (1-2 passengers and 200lbs of cargo maximum.).

Given my usage, does anyone see any safety concerns with 40PSI in the tires? My tires are Bridgestone Alenza 19". And how low is too low?
It would seem that the higher psi was purely for "fuel economy" purposes. I'm not sure what would be considered unsafe, though. Do keep a watchful eye on any unusual wear.

9 Posts
Just picked up the car a few days ago. Upgraded from a 2019 Leaf.

The Ariya is stunning in nearly every way ... except for the ride. I feel every single slightest dip or bump or crack in the road. And even on relatively smooth side streets with a few smallish bumps, the car "bounces" off every.single.bump. making for an unpleasant experience indeed.

Even the Leaf had more of a forgiving nature regarding bumps and took them reasonably well.

The tires are 19" Bridgestone radials ... Alenza I think. I find the tires to be loud compared with the Michelin's I've had (and preferred) on most previous cars.

The rough and bouncy ride is driving me crazy. Where can I start to get this addressed? I want to go back to the dealer and have them work on the issue, but I need some ideas on what might be causing this first.

What can be changed on a new car to fix such concerns?

Any help would be appreciated!
Oh my! I am glad we leased our EV rather than outright purchase. It’s a Volvo though, different class however.

23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Oh my! I am glad we leased our EV rather than outright purchase. It’s a Volvo though, different class however.
Yes I also leased the LEAF ... and the Ariya. The Ariya is so new, it might take them a year or two to sort things out. Would hate to buy into any big issues, esp. ones related to ride comfort, which seems to be lacking in many Ariya models. It's shocking though, since the rest of the car is very well appointed to be sure.

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
336 Posts
Thanks Hank. I had originally intended to put a spread sheet together, however the limited data I’ve collected so far is exactly what you found. Venture + trims are being shipped with Bridgestone Alenza (recommended tire pressure on Venture + placard is 46psi ) Conversely both the Evolve + and Premiere trims are being shipped with Dunlop Grandtrek (Nissan door placard recommends 41psi for both of those trims) That said I’m curious if Tustin still has the Engage trim with the small battery that you test drove a few weeks ago? If so did you happen to check the tire make/model and placard psi data on that trim? If you didn’t I’ll visit my dealer next week to get that info. off the Engage trim that they use as their demo. Since the Engage weighs a few hundred pounds less I’m thinking the tire pressure recommendation is likely around 38psi which possibly aided in the “smooth “ test drive experience that we both remember.
I was at Tustin Nissan this evening. The Engage + also uses Bridgestone Alenza. The doors were locked so unfortunately, I did not see the placard.

479 Posts
I was at Tustin Nissan this evening. The Engage + also uses Bridgestone Alenza. The doors were locked so unfortunately, I did not see the placard.
Thanks Hank. I’ll check out the demo Engage at my dealer later this week. I suspect it will be 38 psi. Not sure if you read the ScottishAriya post …they took a photo of his placard on his Evolve + version. Seems that UK issued Ariya’s recommend 38psi for up to 3 passengers with a max of 44psi for heavy loads. So this tire pressure issue creating a rough ride for many Ariya owners is definitely a USA EPA range game that Nissan is playing. At least it’s obvious to me since the rest of the world outside of the United States applies a WLTP drive cycle to estimate range.

70 Posts
For anybody that loves the car and can't live with the ride a set of 18" rims, if they fit over the brakes, on 65% aspect ratio tires, or even 65's on the 19s' and live with the speedo error, would certainly soften it up. An expensive fix but so is a car you don't like.

136 Posts
I vaguely remember my test drive from July now but will be re-acquainted this weekend in an EMPOWER+ test drive.

Back in July... my standards were.... lower lol. I thought the ID.4 had a great ride. I owned one back in 2021 and test drove the 2022 + 2023 models also. The other EVs I've owned were much firmer..

Today?... no way. Air suspension is my standard for comfortable ride. My BMW i4 has rear air. I loved the BMW iX M60 air suspension and the new 2022 Model S is decent air suspension also. The new 2023 Model Y suspension is improved and close to the ID.4 suspension.

336 Posts
I vaguely remember my test drive from July now but will be re-acquainted this weekend in an EMPOWER+ test drive.

Back in July... my standards were.... lower lol. I thought the ID.4 had a great ride. I owned one back in 2021 and test drove the 2022 + 2023 models also. The other EVs I've owned were much firmer..

Today?... no way. Air suspension is my standard for comfortable ride. My BMW i4 has rear air. I loved the BMW iX M60 air suspension and the new 2022 Model S is decent air suspension also. The new 2023 Model Y suspension is improved and close to the ID.4 suspension.
My neighbor talked a lot about his air suspension on his 2018 Lexus RX450h (PHEV). He regretted trading it in for the 2022 MY that did not have air suspension.

I will break the news to him that my Evolve+ will be picked up on Feb 1. He wants (and also a friend who owns a 2021MY) to test drive my Ariya for comparison with his MY. These two individuals don’t like their MY probably more so now that MY is $20K cheaper.

I will go for a test drive on the Mercedes EQB this weekend just for fun.

2023 Nissan Ariya
322 Posts
My neighbor talked a lot about his air suspension on his 2018 Lexus RX450h (PHEV). He regretted trading it in for the 2022 MY that did not have air suspension.

I will break the news to him that my Evolve+ will be picked up on Feb 1. He wants (and also a friend who owns a 2021MY) to test drive my Ariya for comparison with his MY. These two individuals don’t like their MY probably more so now that MY is $20K cheaper.

Congrats Hank. My Evolve delivery in N.Calif (Folsom, 20 miles east of Sacramento) was Feb 10th they say now maybe Mon ,Jan 30th also so our Evolve must be in same group. Portal still has not CHANGED

336 Posts
Congrats Hank. My Evolve delivery in N.Calif (Folsom, 20 miles east of Sacramento) was Feb 10th they say now maybe Mon ,Jan 30th also so our Evolve must be in same group.
If you read my post on the other thread (Tustin Nissan Delivery), my Evolve+ was ready for pick up as of yesterday. Tustin Nissan has many more Ariyas that just arrived yesterday. So yeah, it looks like this shipment must be from the same ocean freighter.

My build date was 11/22. Let us know if yours is also 11/22.

Talk to your dealer about free rugged rubber floor mats. Per my dealer, Nissan HQ is adding rugged floor mats in addition to the carpeted floor mats that we paid for..

186 Posts

Please post your thoughts about the Mercedes EQB after you've had a chance to check it out!

102 Posts
Yes I also leased the LEAF ... and the Ariya. The Ariya is so new, it might take them a year or two to sort things out. Would hate to buy into any big issues, esp. ones related to ride comfort, which seems to be lacking in many Ariya models. It's shocking though, since the rest of the car is very well appointed to be sure.
also part of the reason for me backing out.
even though nissan has been making leafs for 10 years, the ariya is a new car on a new platform on a new charging system using (relatively) new propulsion system.
ideally I wanted to spend as little as possible on an EV and treat it as if it were disposable, preferably under $40k. the leaf would've been perfect if it used CCS instead of chademo, plus after incentives, it would be mid-20s. unfortunately they are hard to come by and the ones available are marked up by dealers.

ariya is $50k. model Y is more proven and $43k after incentives.

479 Posts
also part of the reason for me backing out.
even though nissan has been making leafs for 10 years, the ariya is a new car on a new platform on a new charging system using (relatively) new propulsion system.
ideally I wanted to spend as little as possible on an EV and treat it as if it were disposable, preferably under $40k. the leaf would've been perfect if it used CCS instead of chademo, plus after incentives, it would be mid-20s. unfortunately they are hard to come by and the ones available are marked up by dealers.

ariya is $50k. model Y is more proven and $43k after incentives.
I understand your concerns about the Ariya. However, the last reason you stated of $50k Ariya vs. $43K M Y after incentives no longer applies since new language was just released by the IRS regarding the transition rule.

102 Posts
I understand your concerns about the Ariya. However, the last reason you stated of $50k Ariya vs. $43K M Y after incentives no longer applies since new language was just released by the IRS regarding the transition rule.
until people start reporting in numbers that they got the 7500 come april, I'm skeptical. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
plus it's not like the MY is some penalty box vehicle.

9 Posts
Agreed. The Moose Test was actually performed with a small battery 63kw Ariya trim fitted with 20” wheels. Logic suggests that the 19” wheels/tires we are discussing here won’t perform as well as the 20’s that were applied in the Moose Test. You mentioned the early Ford Exploder having a tendency to roll over, I suggest the same treatment that Ford recommended then applies here for Ariya as well. ie better control in an emergency maneuver when tires are inflated to the lowest reasonable value. So just another reason I favor 38 PSI for all Ariya FWD as the target pressure.
Regardless Nissan‘s motivation in the US market to recommend Venture tires be inflated to 46psi is merely done to attain a target EPA range rating. By comparison recommended inflation values for Ariya FWD trims outside the US market where EPA ratings have no impact, are guided entirely by engineering logic and not skewed by any EPA parameters.
To that end some consider that the EPA has evolved into a bit of a monster. (Heck it was Richard Nixon’s brainstorm, so why question the value of the EPA, right?) Seriously the EPA s ability to generate valuable data is not on trial here. However, the down side to the EPA information is that many Americans (including myself at times) consider EPA information to be the best source in the US to evaluate data and ultimately arrive at a final decision making conclusion. Unfortunately since the EPA data in the Ariya example seems to have become skewed a bit by Nissan, there may be a few Ariya Venture buyers out there that may wished they had considered higher trim levels. That said I contend if a Venture + and Evolve + trims adjusted tire pressures the same, drive the same road under the same conditions (no drafting) even though the Venture + weighs 80 pounds less, range results would be identical.
EPA figures are just rough estimates and seem to be easily affected by many variables.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts