Nissan Ariya Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

250 Posts
If they were going to add something, would be nice if it was something that would be useful like ceramic window tint. Maybe I should inquire about that.

I plan to check out the car first to see if it meets my needs, if price is near MSRP, I'll probably get it. Though that might also depend on if the tax credit is fully available, otherwise I might wait for the Honda Prologue, since it would have the full credit and I prefer their interiors.

5 Posts
For those of us in the USA, I think most are probably aware of the rediculous markups the traditional dealship networks are applying to high-demand vehicles (both IC and EV). There's plenty of examples, but the most guilty dealership network appears to be Ford - which is getting at least $5k over MSRP for the Bronco, and for the Mustang Mach-e as well, and apparently as much as $50k over MSRP for the Lightning.

These markups from the mainstream auto industry is one of the reason Telsa has been so successful. They have three strong pillars:
1) No dealer markup, no surprise pricing. You pay what you pay.
2) Extremely efficient drivetrain, delivering industry-leading range
3) Fantastic, exclusive fastcharge network, making interstate travel anxiety-free.

For my intended Ariya purchase, I can say that I'm willing to overlook items 2 and 3 above, since there's plenty of things the Ariya does better than an Model Y as an overall package (including the $7500 tax exemption). But the one thing I cannot, and absolutely will not put up with is any sort of Nissan dealership price gouging. If the day comes when I'm sitting in the chair to do my deal for the Ariya, and I see any sort of "market adjustment" on the window sticker, I'll walk away. Let's see what they do with the Z pricing.

Anyone else here ready for that conversation? Has anyone pinged their arranged dealership with this question?
I just switched my dealer of choice because of their commitment to honoring MSRP price for my reservation. Nissan of Tustin in Tustin CA is offering no dealer markup.

5 Posts
What dealership is this? Eventually I may just "abandon" up my Ariya reservation and have it assigned to a "good" dealer then cancel when it is allocated/shipped to them. I don't need the deposit back immediately... I'm not buying an overpriced Ariya (MSRP + $10K)
I just switched my order to Nissan of Tustin. They are offering Reservationists guaranteed MSRP pricing. They are located in Tustin, CA.

39 Posts
I found two dealers in the Chicago market that are promising no mark-ups and no dealer-installed packages: Woodfield Nissan in Schaumburg and Liberty Nissan in Libertyville. I've switched my order to Woodfield.

37 Posts
Me too. Just spoke to their contact who confirmed over the phone, and then in writing, that we would get it at MSRP. Impressed. I just switched my reservation to the Tustin dealership.
Any idea if Nissan will really delay delivery of the car due to the dealership change? The warning on the reservation portal says "Please note, making a change may affect the delivery of your vehicle"...

17 Posts
Any idea if Nissan will really delay delivery of the car due to the dealership change? The warning on the reservation portal says "Please note, making a change may affect the delivery of your vehicle"...
It's a good question and I don't know the answer. I really hope not. But I'll take a couple additional months of waiting if it means saving $5-10k markup.

7 Posts
For those of us in the USA, I think most are probably aware of the rediculous markups the traditional dealship networks are applying to high-demand vehicles (both IC and EV). There's plenty of examples, but the most guilty dealership network appears to be Ford - which is getting at least $5k over MSRP for the Bronco, and for the Mustang Mach-e as well, and apparently as much as $50k over MSRP for the Lightning.

These markups from the mainstream auto industry is one of the reason Telsa has been so successful. They have three strong pillars:
1) No dealer markup, no surprise pricing. You pay what you pay.
2) Extremely efficient drivetrain, delivering industry-leading range
3) Fantastic, exclusive fastcharge network, making interstate travel anxiety-free.

For my intended Ariya purchase, I can say that I'm willing to overlook items 2 and 3 above, since there's plenty of things the Ariya does better than an Model Y as an overall package (including the $7500 tax exemption). But the one thing I cannot, and absolutely will not put up with is any sort of Nissan dealership price gouging. If the day comes when I'm sitting in the chair to do my deal for the Ariya, and I see any sort of "market adjustment" on the window sticker, I'll walk away. Let's see what they do with the Z pricing.

Anyone else here ready for that conversation? Has anyone pinged their arranged dealership with this question?
The trick is to find out now and change to a dealership that will honor the MSRP, or a whatever you deem tolerable dealer fee. The last thing you want to do is let the car be shipped to an unscrupulous dealer and walk away. You leave him/her exactly where they want to be - with a new car they can charge 10-15 grand over MSRP to some unsuspecting but anxious schmuck. I ran into that when I spotted an Kia EV6 on a lot nearby - 15k over list.

When I told my first dealer I would not pay more than a grand over MSRP (and I thought I was being generous) he let me walk. Found one up the road I have dealt with before and we have a guaranteed a deal I can live with. My only mistake was not choosing them the first time around.

7 Posts
I live in Blacksburg, VA and our dealer is located in Christiansburg, VA just a few miles from here. I drive a 2013 CMAX hybrid, which I love and only have 71K miles on it. My wife is driving a Ford Escape 2016 which is a bit of a gas guzzler and that is why we're reserving an Ariya. But it would be easy for us to cancel our reservation should we be "scammed" by our dealer (first car from this dealer and first Nissan). I appreciate the information on this forum!

87 Posts
I attended the Nissan Ride and Drive event in Portland, OR and talked with a Nissan rep. I told him I had to change my dealer because the first on I picked let me know they planned on adding $4,995 to the msrp. I was not having it. The rep want to know the name of the dealer and I told him. He then stated Nissan ha told the dealers not to do this kind of greedy move. Good to know but hard to enforce.

94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yup I was at the PDX event yesterday at 11:00am and got the same response from the staff in regards to markup. He said they included this topic in the training sessions with the local dealers. To summarize, they just told the dealers to be cool with the pre-order holders and hold them at the pre-order MSRP... but he admitted there is no enforced policy or otherwise built-in checks/penalties.... meaning that dealers are free to violate this request. He also told me there has been about a 30% pre-order cancelation rate, which means that those canceled pre-orders automatically become optioned to the prescribed dealer as their own inventory, which they are encouraged to price at market value so as to provide some recompense against being "uncool" with the pre-order holders that haven't cancelled (and showed commitment to the Nissan brand). And lastly, same guy said that he believed market price for the highly optioned Ariyas will be in the neighborhood of $15k over MSRP.
But on a good note, we were very impressed with the Ariya during the ride/drive experience. It met or exceeded all of my expectations. However, I'm still not paying over MSRP so I'm going to get something in writing from someone here in the PDX / Seattle area for an MSRP deal, or in retaliation, I'll have my order changed to some really small Nissan dealer far away who has been verified to be a GOOD dealer and will just tell them to pass it on to someone for a fair price. I will not reward any dealer in my area with a canceled order for them to sell with a huge profit adjuster.

87 Posts
Hey Nissan79, visit the web site of Dick Hannah Nissan and see if you can chat. I did that and then went to the dealer. Spoke to a sales manager and asked the MSRP question. He check with the back room and the told me they would honor the MSRP. I have that in writing in my chart log I saved. He also said that someone coming in for an Ariya without a reservation would "most likely" be paying above MSRP.

I too was impressed with the Ariya. We received enough good information I changed from the Venture+ to the Evolve+ as that had the items we wanted in the car. Ride was smooth and quite. Very little roll in the curves and I think it is going to take a bit of practice to get the right touch on the regen system.

31 Posts
CADGISEngr, could you share which dealership you first picked? I've got my reservation with Beaverton Nissan and while it doesn't seem like they have any markup on their website, they do seem to have a lot of overpriced "add-ons".

87 Posts
CADGISEngr, could you share which dealership you first picked? I've got my reservation with Beaverton Nissan and while it doesn't seem like they have any markup on their website, they do seem to have a lot of overpriced "add-ons".
I am going with Dick Hannah Nissan - I advise switching. Keep in mind there is very little maintenance with an EV so not regular trips for server.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts