Nissan Ariya Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons we purchased the Ariya was a best-in-class combination of price, quality, range, and ground clearance. The clearance was a huge factor since we live in the Ashville, NC area which is nestled in the Great Smokey Mountains and the roads and driveways are not gentle with lower clearance rides.

7.9" - Nissan Ariya
6.1" - KIA EV6
6.6" - Tesla Model Y

Our salesperson at Nissan actually has a Tesla MY and he broke his skid plate - $8,000 to replace. The Subura Solterra is at 8.3", however, the range is only 228. Fisker Ocean (standard) comes in at 7.3" but is an unproven brand. Anyone know of other ~300 mi range ESUVs with ~8" clearance?

We have the Evolve+ in boulder gray and we're loving it! Thank you Nissan for making such a great ESUV!

Neil

341 Posts
Just want to point out that the Nissan website shows the ground clearance varies between trims, the Evolve+ is shown as 7.1 inches. Pretty high for a "non SUV", E-4force+ models shown as 6.7.

Rivian probably has the higher clearance and price.

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
888 Posts
One of the reasons we purchased the Ariya was a best-in-class combination of price, quality, range, and ground clearance. The clearance was a huge factor since we live in the Ashville, NC area which is nestled in the Great Smokey Mountains and the roads and driveways are not gentle with lower clearance rides.

7.9" - Nissan Ariya
6.1" - KIA EV6
6.6" - Tesla Model Y

Our salesperson at Nissan actually has a Tesla MY and he broke his skid plate - $8,000 to replace. The Subura Solterra is at 8.3", however, the range is only 228. Fisker Ocean (standard) comes in at 7.3" but is an unproven brand. Anyone know of other ~300 mi range ESUVs with ~8" clearance?

We have the Evolve+ in boulder gray and we're loving it! Thank you Nissan for making such a great ESUV!

Neil
luckily, Nissan didn’t put those tacky plastic body panels like you see on the Subarus to make it look rugged and off-roady. Perhaps, I think they should make something to compete with Subaru Solterra ruggedness as a stand-alone trim?

153 Posts
ID.4 and XC40 have "decent" ground clearance and definitely better than the hatchback EV6 or Ioniq 5 or Mach-Es. The Model Y is somewhere inbetween.

Ground clearance tiers
  • Ariya, ID.4, Solterra, XC40. To be honest... the Solterra doesn't seem to actually have much ground clearance. Not sure how it is measured. I test drove it and seen it an autoshow. It's vastly lower than a RAV4 or GC or even the Crosstrek.
  • Model Y, Volvo C40
  • EV6, Ioniq 5, Mach-E.

637 Posts
ID.4 and XC40 have "decent" ground clearance and definitely better than the hatchback EV6 or Ioniq 5 or Mach-Es. The Model Y is somewhere inbetween.

Ground clearance tiers
  • Ariya, ID.4, Solterra, XC40. To be honest... the Solterra doesn't seem to actually have much ground clearance. Not sure how it is measured. I test drove it and seen it an autoshow. It's vastly lower than a RAV4 or GC or even the Crosstrek.
  • Model Y, Volvo C40
  • EV6, Ioniq 5, Mach-E.
Rivian R1S ground clearance ranges from 7.9-15” and is determined by air bag setting
VW id.4 ground clearance 6” for RWD vs 6.7” for AWD
By comparison even if the ground clearance spec for the Ariya turns out to be 7.1”, this above average clearance height can be a game changer for many people’s commute when traveling on less than ideal road surfaces as vtbluedragonfly can attest to. An added bonus of Ariya’s higher ground clearance is the perfect ingress/egress seat height for me that my aging knees really appreciate.

637 Posts
luckily, Nissan didn’t put those tacky plastic body panels like you see on the Subarus to make it look rugged and off-roady. Perhaps, I think they should make something to compete with Subaru Solterra ruggedness as a stand-alone trim?
Perhaps Ramsey’s pole to pole expedition (if it gets enough press ) will inspire Nissan to offer a rugged trim package in the near future.

341 Posts
Perhaps Ramsey’s pole to pole expedition (if it gets enough press ) will inspire Nissan to offer a rugged trim package in the near future.
This is the link to that article forum post. The image looks unreal, but they showed the tire in a recent video, 39 inches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts