Nissan Ariya Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
94 Posts
I received the binding agreement email and selected I Agree, so that's all Ariya-reserved customers have to do for now. However, there is one additional issue which could throw a wrench into getting the full $7,500 tax credit. Since Nissan has sold over 170,00 Leafs so far, and since, when we selected I Agree, we are on the 'current' tax credit rule. Should Leaf purchases that take place BEFORE we get our Ariya's take the total EV sales to 200,000, the phase-out rule that we're under kicks in. So, there is a chance that some of us getting the later Ariya's might see the tax credit being reduced per the phase-pout rule. But, on the other hand, perspective Leaf customers are under NO HURRY to purchase their Leaf since they are assembled in North America and, thus, fall OUTSIDE any 200,000 quota (rescinded in the Act) or the requirement to be assembled here. So a perspective Ariya owner's best-case scenario is that perspective Leaf owners DELAY purchasing their Leaf until 2023, giving the Ariya-reserve owners the opportunity to receive their Ariya AND the full $7,500 tax credit. Maybe ... just maybe ... perspective Leaf owners will wait until Leaf prices come down in 2023 as supplies are increased???
My take regarding Nissan’s 200k cap limit and the impact of and potential Leaf sales for the remaining portion of 2022:
A Nissan Leaf that is not currently under written contract by the end of business today will no longer count against Nissans cap threshold because Biden will be signing the IRA into law tomorrow. So any Leaf or any other EV model that still qualify under the new legislation ……those sales will likely stall out for the remaining year (until 2023 ) when buyers once again will qualify for a government subsidy.

·
37 Posts
Wonder if the dealer is going to date the bill of sale as the sales agreement date for tax rebate purposes.,
The dealer sale date will be the date you buy the vehicle. However, under the IRA you don't need a bill of sale but need a binding agreement prior to IRA enactment (which Nissan has done) for tax rebate purposes.

·
23 Posts
My Retail Buyers Order, signed by myself and my dealer, simply states "MSRP, and details the remaining costs and deposit made. That contract also clearly states its non-cancellable. Ergo I have a Nissan "Binding agreement" and a dealer "Sales Order" that is on-cancellable. I'm not sure how much more the IRS is gonna want.

·
12 Posts
My Retail Buyers Order, signed by myself and my dealer, simply states "MSRP, and details the remaining costs and deposit made. That contract also clearly states its non-cancellable. Ergo I have a Nissan "Binding agreement" and a dealer "Sales Order" that is on-cancellable. I'm not sure how much more the IRS is gonna want.
Unless the IRS changes the IRS Form 8936 the EV tax credit claim form to include the binding sales agreement date you will not be able to claim the tax credit. The form list the date as when the EV was put in service. If you file manually maybe you can include a copy of the Nissan binding sale agreement. If you use the Intuit Turbotax or another tax prep package and E-file you have a problem.

·
37 Posts
Unless the IRS changes the IRS Form 8936 the EV tax credit claim form to include the binding sales agreement date you will not be able to claim the tax credit. The form list the date as when the EV was put in service. If you file manually maybe you can include a copy of the Nissan binding sale agreement. If you use the Intuit Turbotax or another tax prep package and E-file you have a problem.
Not to worry, IRS will update the forms and Turbotax/HR Block etc. will update the software early next year and before April 15, 2023.

·
21 Posts
Before Nissan sent out their "binding agreement" email, I had asked my dealer if they could make one themselves for my reserved Platinum+, and I was told NO because they couldn't make contractual agreement without a VIN number, which isn't available. In spite of that response, I gave my dealer a signed letter stating I agreed to a binding agreement with ANY VIN number, provided the Ariya matched my reserved Platinum+. The dealer said it did NOT keep such letters in an owner's folder—in fact, they kept no owner's folder, even though I am a current Murano owner from that dealership—so the letter I gave them would be discarded. But I sent it via email with a RECEIPT email back, so I'm just adding that email/letter to my documentation to respond to any IRS question about being eligible for the $7,500 tax credit. I felt it couldn't hurt!

·
12 Posts
It’s frustrating how all this is in limbo. Would really like a tax lawyer or even the IRS to weigh in on whether any of this is going to be accepted. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to buy the Ariya expecting a tax credit and file their taxes only for the IRS to reject it. This could be putting a lot of people in jeopardy. My advice is only buy the car if you are prepared financially to not get the credit.

·
94 Posts
It’s frustrating how all this is in limbo. Would really like a tax lawyer or even the IRS to weigh in on whether any of this is going to be accepted. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to buy the Ariya expecting a tax credit and file their taxes only for the IRS to reject it. This could be putting a lot of people in jeopardy. My advice is only buy the car if you are prepared financially to not get the credit.
The last minute manner in which the IRA passed legislation there’s no doubt the IRS has a daunting task ahead of them. I‘m pretty confident that a portion of additional funding that was appropriated in this bill to fund additional IRS staff was specifically earmarked to sort out all of this EV minutiae. LOL

·
12 Posts
The last minute manner in which the IRA passed legislation there’s no doubt the IRS has a daunting task ahead of them. I‘m pretty confident that a portion of additional funding that was appropriated in this bill to fund additional IRS staff was specifically earmarked to sort out all of this EV minutiae. LOL
It is all frustrating. I own a Nissan Leaf that has been great. Saved me lots of gas payments and maintenance has cost $2.50 in three years and that was for a safety sticker, It has a range of just 150 miles so when Nissan started advertising in 2021 the Ariya I decided to upgrade. Then delivery was scheduled early Fall which would be September to mid October. Now the schedule is late Fall which is October or November. In any case we should be just weeks away. In the meantime the value of the Leaf has gone up 43%. If Nissan kicks out delivery again then I am out reservation. binding contract what ever.

·
69 Posts
Yes. I will keep watching these threads, as I assume eventually people will start talking to lawyers and tax professionals and weigh in with the results here. One good thing about have a Platinum (AWD) reservation is that a lot of others will probably go through all this before I have to make a decision (because the FWD versions will be delivered earliest).

·
12 Posts
Yes. I will keep watching these threads, as I assume eventually people will start talking to lawyers and tax professionals and weigh in with the results here. One good thing about have a Platinum (AWD) reservation is that a lot of others will probably go through all this before I have to make a decision (because the FWD versions will be delivered earliest).
You would think a company that has sold 577,000 Nissan Leafs in ten years could come up with 30000 Ariyas for us.in one year.

·
94 Posts
You would think a company that has sold 577,000 Nissan Leafs in ten years could come up with 30000 Ariyas for us.in one year.
Was the number of Ariya reservations for the USA really 30k? One of the Ariya forum members claimed earlier that the reservation numbers began at 10,000 and you should divide your reservation number by 3 to arrive at your placement in the queue. So if that info is accurate there may have only been 10,000 total reservations taken by Nissan nationwide before closing.

·
19 Posts
I ordered on what I think was day one 11/16/21 but not early in the day, if subtract 10,000 and divide by 3 is accurate, Im in the first 200, but I am waiting for
Model:
Nissan ARIYA PLATINUM+, AWD​
Battery:
LONG​
Exterior color:
Everest White Pearl Tricoat / Black Diamond Metallic​
Interior color:
Blue Gray Nappa Leather​
so I am not looking for delivery until 2023

jay Streets

·
21 Posts
Correction on the Leaf sales. Nissan has sold something like 170,000 Leafs. But even that number affects Ariya-reserved customers, since (assuming one is a reserved-Ariya customer who has signed a binding agreement in time) if the sales total of Leafs plus delivered Ariyas reaches 200,000, then the tax credit for one's later-delivered drops to $3,750 ... and if delivered AFTER April 1, 2023, one receives NO tax credit. (That's the 'old' tax credit rule which has a phase-out.)

·
69 Posts
Correction on the Leaf sales. Nissan has sold something like 170,000 Leafs. But even that number affects Ariya-reserved customers, since (assuming one is a reserved-Ariya customer who has signed a binding agreement in time) if the sales total of Leafs plus delivered Ariyas reaches 200,000, then the tax credit for one's later-delivered drops to $3,750 ... and if delivered AFTER April 1, 2023, one receives NO tax credit. (That's the 'old' tax credit rule which has a phase-out.)
The caps should be irrelevant. You would be claiming the Ariya as being put into service on 8/15/22 regardless of when it is delivered. (That's IF the agreements emailed last week hold water- which I am doubting.)

·
94 Posts
Here’s my take on the old cap if for whatever reason it still remains in play with regard to the new legislation:
I would be amazed if Nissan will have the raw materials/resources to generate a combination of Leaf and Ariya USA totals to hit the magic threshold of 200k by the end of 2022. So if this theory holds true Nissan would likely not reach the cap until either the first or second quarter of 2023. Under the previous legislation the tax credit phase out process didn‘t diminish any amount of tax credit $ for two quarters after the cap had been reached. So in theory if the IRS were to actually combine the old rules regarding the cap with the IRA EV guidelines, the Ariya could conceivably be eligible for the entire $7500 tax credit for the entire 2023 calendar year. Of course the above scenario would only be possible if the IRS actually does accept the Ariya reservation holders signed document that was provided by Nissan at the “eleventh hour” prior to POTUS signing the new legislation.

·
21 Posts
My take regarding Nissan’s 200k cap limit and the impact of and potential Leaf sales for the remaining portion of 2022:
A Nissan Leaf that is not currently under written contract by the end of business today will no longer count against Nissans cap threshold because Biden will be signing the IRA into law tomorrow. So any Leaf or any other EV model that still qualify under the new legislation ……those sales will likely stall out for the remaining year (until 2023 ) when buyers once again will qualify for a government subsidy.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts