Nissan Ariya Forum banner

If Ariya is not eligible for any tax credit...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
2023 Nissan Ariya
73 Posts
Depends on the trim. If I remember right, the lowest trim comes with 120V cord. The others come with 120/240V.
It seems the Venture comes with only 120v cable others give both cables.(my mistake) Also Nissan site still as low as price including $7500 if this now is not eligible for rebate they should remove lower amount.

·
33 Posts
Ariya made in Japan NO tax credit once new Biden bill passes. My dealer said no info on delivery date.as of Aug 8th I am #13xxx they said once they are notified of shipment they will contact and track keeping owners up to date? Anyone given a date I feel is just a guess. Also when I gave down pmt it showed MSRP for Evolve $48,950 now on Nissan site it says Starting MSRP $48,950 so you know what that means plus losing rebate.
And you forgot the most important part. The New ev tax credit scheme only goes into effect AFTER January 1 2023. Not before.

·
77 Posts
Curious what car makers you think will be helped by the new EV tax credits and who won't be.
When I read the details of the reconfigured EV tax credit eligibility in the Inflation Reduction Act draft, I presumed it was intended to benefit GM. But with more research it seems to be spread pretty evenly between GM and Ford, with low-trim Telsa's even coming in (but likely not for the fully $7500).

So at least in the near-term, the biggest losers stand to be all of the Japanese and Korean brands, all of the Euro brands (with one exception for the ID.4), and locks out any future brands that may come into play from China or India. It also affects battery manufacturers as well. This legislation completely changes the landscape for US EV car buyers, in good ways for some, and in bad ways for others.

Of course I'm selfish, and only care about the affect on my choice to purchase an Ariya - and for that, it's clearly terrible. It was very likely that all Ariaya pre-order holders would have been eligible and inside of the 200K unit limit from the previous EV Tax credit criteria. But that all changes when the IR Act is signed into law (unless Nissan is able to determine a legal loophole in the next few days).

·
33 Posts
When I read the details of the reconfigured EV tax credit eligibility in the Inflation Reduction Act draft, I presumed it was intended to benefit GM. But with more research it seems to be spread pretty evenly between GM and Ford, with low-trim Telsa's even coming in (but likely not for the fully $7500).

So at least in the near-term, the biggest losers stand to be all of the Japanese brands, all of the Euro brands (with one exception for the ID.4), and locks out any future brands that may come into play from China or India. It also affects battery manufacturers as well. This legislation completely changes the landscape for US EV car buyers, in good ways for some, and in bad ways for others.

Of course I'm selfish, and only care about the affect on my choice to purchase an Ariya - and for that, it's clearly terrible. It was very likely that all Ariaya pre-order holders would have been eligible and inside of the 200K unit limit from the previous EV Tax credit criteria. But that all changes when the IR Act is signed into law (unless Nissan is able to determine a legal loophole in the next few days).
true. It changes things, in 2023. It will not effect anything in 2022 tax year. After that. I would think Nissan will start using the batteries from its battery plant in Tennessee. They make Leaf batteries there now. Thus getting around the pro American anti import Stance. Perhaps even just start making them in America. Lots of other brands build cars here so why not another one. The concept of American made and foreign made is getting nebulous at best.

·
2023 Nissan Ariya
73 Posts
Its back and forth Many people say Jan 2023 others say rebate lost when bill is signed probably tomorrow (Fri 8/12)it goes into effect immediately?/ You would think Nissan has lobbyist to save the day? If many cars fall out of rebate it should be MAJOR headlines after Dems keep pushing EV. MOST Americans CANNOT afford EV either way they push it then back out on rebate. The price of gas inCalif is still a joke? You try to help when we ordered rebate was there???What about all the people in apartments,no EV hookup if they could afford EV they would try to buy a house which is unaffordable. The ONLY people buying EV are well off, they need to quit talking like everyone can get one. Also they are not available? It is depressing and Major news outlets dont give this info.

·
78 Posts
It doesn't go into effect until the President signs it. To keep the media cycle going, the House will pass it today, then the President will sign it in the near future but not today. That will make it news for two days instead of just one.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It doesn't go into effect until the President signs it. To keep the media cycle going, the House will pass it today, then the President will sign it in the near future but not today. That will make it news for two days instead of just one.
Could also be signed on Monday so it doesn't drop off the news feeds over the weekend.

·
9 Posts
Having a "tax credit" is a government tax policy issue. They are designed for many political and economic reasons. Many of the reasons are not connected to a vast cross section of the population. Just because the "tax credit" says $7.500 it does not mean you will actually receive that amount! If you only have a tax amount due equal or grater than $7,500 will you receive that value. If your tax burden is only $6,200 or $7,100 then that is all you are entitled to claim. With the standard deduction being $26,450 for a couple filing jointly having a tax burden above $7,500 should put you in a financial situation that buying a $50,000 car is not an issue.
I guess someone thinks that no one else understands how the tax credit is applied so he/she needs to explain that to everyone

·
4 Posts
You get a tax credit based on how much federal taxes you owe. If you only owe $5000 in federal taxes, then you get a credit for that amount. The remaining $2500 is lost. If one intends to lease the car, then it is different. The tax credit goes to Nissan and they could pass it on to the customer by adjusting the residual value, thus lowering the lease payment.

·
33 Posts
You get a tax credit based on how much federal taxes you owe. If you only owe $5000 in federal taxes, then you get a credit for that amount. The remaining $2500 is lost. If one intends to lease the car, then it is different. The tax credit goes to Nissan and they could pass it on to the customer by adjusting the residual value, thus lowering the lease payment.
That is not how my CPA explained it to me. It is on how much you paid in income tax for the year. not what you owe. subtle differences but they are not the same.

·
8 Posts
They are the same in the end (owe, pay). The credit applies up-to your tax burden for the year. Whether you’ve pre-paid any amount (payroll deductions, estimated payments) or not does not matter. Come April 15 of the next year what you owe and what you paid should be the same. If your calculated tax amount is $7500 or more than you can take the full credit. If it’s less than that, then you take that amount (your tax burden is say, $4500, then you get/take a credit for $4500 and owe no tax - and most likely get a refund because of pre-paid payroll deductions).

·
1 Posts
I reserved the Platinum (cause of the AWD performance + ProPilot 2)...I feel the MSRP of ~$59k is still a decent value for what it has to offer. The $7500 is definitely nice to offset the cost but not a deal breaker...however any additional Add-Ons and mark-up fees the dealer puts on will push the price point to a Tesla Model3 Performance (that I know I would enjoy driving more due to the performance). After going to the Ride and Drive event...the Ariya didn't really wow me, so I am tempted to jump ship if dealer markup is too excessive for me(> $2000)
p

I feel the same way. If there is a ridiculous dealer markup, I will also look at the possibility of getting Model 3 performance. I don't need a car; I want an EV and I can wait.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts