Nissan Ariya Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though my Nissan Ariya Platinum+ AWD won't be arriving until (who knows when), I wanted to install the EV charger this winter while I have time to run the conduit and wiring. I wasn't sure if they would sell me the charger with the Nissan discount before I receive the car.

I bought the Pulsar Plus 40a, which plugs in (rather than hard-wired), making it portable if we move and want to take it with us. I ordered directly from Wallbox, and plugged in my 5-digit Nissan reservation number as the discount code, and it automatically applied the $150 discount taking the price from $649 to $499, with free shipping. I assume it will work the same if you want the 48a hard-wired version.

·
17 Posts
Nicely done!

I'm just curious if the WallBox is even needed, however. From what I've gathered, the higher trims of the Ariya come with a Nissan EVSE cable (40A / 9.6 kW) for level 2 charging. Since both are essentially just a cable and a set of switches, it seems redundant to have both in the garage? I've read "the car will do all of the thinking and will communicate with the charger, whether it be the Nissan cable or a wall-mounted EVSE." Seems all we really need in the garage is a 50A dedicated circuit to a 14-50 NEMA outlet for the included Nissan EVSE cable. Or am I totally off base here?

·
113 Posts
Nicely done!

I'm just curious if the WallBox is even needed, however. From what I've gathered, the higher trims of the Ariya come with a Nissan EVSE cable (40A / 9.6 kW) for level 2 charging. Since both are essentially just a cable and a set of switches, it seems redundant to have both in the garage? I've read "the car will do all of the thinking and will communicate with the charger, whether it be the Nissan cable or a wall-mounted EVSE." Seems all we really need in the garage is a 50A dedicated circuit to a 14-50 NEMA outlet for the included Nissan EVSE cable. Or am I totally off base here?
No, you're not off base. The included charger on the higher trims should work fine. Some people want more functionality - cell phone app integration for instance - or are getting the lowest trim that only comes with a Level 1 charger, and so are getting the WallBox. I plan to use the included one.

·
9 Posts
If you want to take the Nissan cable with you as a back-up in your car, you will need to repeatedly plug and unplug the unit from your garage outlet. In theory, this is OK, but in practice you don't really want to put wear and tear on a circuit that is carrying 40 amps for several hours at a time. You may want to check out this video on the downside of 14-50 NEMA outlets for EV charging:

·
32 Posts
No, you're not off base. The included charger on the higher trims should work fine. Some people want more functionality - cell phone app integration for instance - or are getting the lowest trim that only comes with a Level 1 charger, and so are getting the WallBox. I plan to use the included one.
I didn't realize this. So all I need is to get a 240 outlet installed in my garage and they'll give me a level 2 to plug in? OK fine Nissan. I'll keep waiting.

·
38 Posts
Nicely done!

If you live in an area with (or have an electricity plan that has) a substantial difference in price based on time of use, having an EVSE that can support delayed start is a nice feature.

However, it occurs to me as I type this that you can program charging start times in the infotainment system directly. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts