Nissan Ariya Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I be able to have level 2 (7 kw) charging by plugging the level 1 charge cord (with the appropriate adapter) directly into a 240 vac , 30 amp receptacle without installing a separate level 2 home charger?

·
117 Posts
Hey @peterparch, that's what Nissan says here:
Charging at home
Charge your Nissan ARIYA at home and plug into the easy life with a 240-volt charging cable.
Wave “goodbye” to gas stations.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror Eyewear

·
4 Posts
What is described above is the "granny charger" which allows you to charge at home (or wherever) without a dedicated charging station. However, such chargers typically do something like 1.3kW, not the 3.7/7.2/11/22 kW you can do on a real charging station.

If you have a space to park & charge at home, I highly encourage you to have a dedicated charging station installed. The granny charger is such a hassle that in practice you will not use it. Consider it a last resort in case you're stranded somewhere. In my 4 years of owning a Leaf, I've used it maybe 4 times, of which 3 times it blew out a fuse (on the socket/house, not the car). It's pretty useless.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still confused. If the Ariya has a 7.2 kw onboard charger, why do you also need a separate home charging station which has the same output capacity as the onboard charger?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts