Nissan Ariya Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2014 Corvette Stingray
30 Posts
Thanks Cnote i may call some dealers here Portland and Seattle to see if i get a similar story. We wont know for sure until we are doing the deal, but $1500-$2000 markup will not work for me. The AWD version already is too expensive and already has a marginal value proposition given its 264mile EPA range estimate. But i was willing to go with Nissan only because i had a good experience with the Leaf. Reality for Nissan is that there are several good alternatives now, and there will be several more by the time the AWD ships (which i fully expect wont be until 2023). None of us are going to be very happy about what im sure will be a dreadful depreciation curve (compared to a gas equivalent). I personally have no problem waiting a few more years if we still cant get EV's at or below MSRP by 2023.
I completely understand about the markup especially on the top trim. I might be willing to deal with a small one since I'm doing the Evolve+ and even with a couple thousand dollar markup the price would be cheaper than an extended range Mach E Premium. If I can trade or sell my standard range Mach E premium for a good price like many have been able to do so far then a small markup probably won't hurt me too bad. I really can't stand the suspension of the Mach E and think the Ariya is what I am really looking for in terms of comfort and refinement/looks, but we will see. If the aftermarket finally comes out with some options to tweak the Mach E's suspension I would be willing to wait longer for other EV options to come out in the next few years if the mark up is too high on the Ariya. So far there is nothing else I really like in this similar price range (at least with enough info out yet to even contemplate).

·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
UPDATE: I went to my preferred dealer this weekend, and also called around to other dealers in the Portland and Seattle metro areas. Since I didn't want any guesses about what they may do for the Ariya, I said I was interested in buying a '22 Leaf SV Plus - figuring that if they are asking over MSRP for a '22 Leaf, they will probably be asking twice that same adjustment for the hot new Ariya.
Doesn't look good if the '22 leaf is any indicator. Adjustments ranged between $2k and about $3.5k for a Leaf which doesn't have a thermally managed battery, and has shorter range than the similar Kia option also available today for the same price (when simiarly equipped to a Leaf SV Plus).
Based on this data, I'm imagining the market adjustment for an Ariya will likely be upwards of $4k. That will be a hard pass for me if so.

·
7 Posts
For those of us in the USA, I think most are probably aware of the ridiculous markups the traditional dealership networks are applying to high-demand vehicles (both IC and EV). There's plenty of examples, but the most guilty dealership network appears to be Ford - which is getting at least $5k over MSRP for the Bronco, and for the Mustang Mach-e as well.

These markups from the mainstream auto industry is one of the reason Tesla has been so successful. They have three strong pillars:
1) No dealer markup, no surprise pricing. You pay what you pay.
2) Extremely efficient drivetrain, delivering industry-leading range
3) Fantastic, exclusive quick-charge network, making interstate travel cheap and easy

For my intended Ariya purchase, I can say that I'm willing to overlook items 2 and 3 above, since there's plenty of things the Ariya does better than an Model Y as an overall package (including the $7500 tax exemption). But the one thing I cannot, and absolutely will not put up with is any sort of Nissan dealership price gouging on an Ariya. If the day comes when I'm sitting in the chair to do my deal, and I see any sort of "market adjustment" on the window sticker, I'll walk away.

Anyone else here ready for that conversation? Has anyone pinged their arranged dealership with this question?
I spoke to my arranged dealership (Nelly Nissan of Cumming in Georgia). The manager assured me that there would be no markup. I visited the international auto show in Atlanta a few days ago and the factory people said that Nissan has sent out a letter to the dealerships requesting them to ensure that the Ariya pre-orders should be sold at msrp without any markup. Hopefully all this is true. BTW the Ariya looked very nice.

·
16 Posts
I spoke to my arranged dealership (Nelly Nissan of Cumming in Georgia). The manager assured me that there would be no markup. I visited the international auto show in Atlanta a few days ago and the factory people said that Nissan has sent out a letter to the dealerships requesting them to ensure that the Ariya pre-orders should be sold at msrp without any markup. Hopefully all this is true. BTW the Ariya looked very nice.
I hope it all turns out great for you, but I can speak from personal experience car shopping recently that there are dealers that will tell you ‘no msrp markup’ over the phone, then you get there and find indeed no ‘markup’, but thousands of dollars of add-ons (LoJack, paint protection, etc). They didn’t mention that on the phone, and I didn’t know to ask, so they weren’t technically telling a lie. Just being shady.

·
16 Posts
UPDATE: I went to my preferred dealer this weekend, and also called around to other dealers in the Portland and Seattle metro areas. Since I didn't want any guesses about what they may do for the Ariya, I said I was interested in buying a '22 Leaf SV Plus - figuring that if they are asking over MSRP for a '22 Leaf, they will probably be asking twice that same adjustment for the hot new Ariya.
Doesn't look good if the '22 leaf is any indicator. Adjustments ranged between $2k and about $3.5k for a Leaf which doesn't have a thermally managed battery, and has shorter range than the similar Kia option also available today for the same price (when simiarly equipped to a Leaf SV Plus).
Based on this data, I'm imagining the market adjustment for an Ariya will likely be upwards of $4k. That will be a hard pass for me if so.
You may want to check in with Puyallup Nissan. I spoke with Puyallup Nissan before reading an article last
week that Nissan was considering discounting the dealer margin 2.5-3% on the Ariya to offset R&D. Before that news was made public Puyallup Nissan was not adding a “regional market adjustment fee“ to MSRP for any Ariya reservation directed to their dealership.

·
16 Posts
You may want to check in with Puyallup Nissan. I spoke with Puyallup Nissan before reading an article last
week that Nissan was considering discounting the dealer margin 2.5-3% on the Ariya to offset R&D. Before that news was made public Puyallup Nissan was not adding a “regional market adjustment fee“ to MSRP for any Ariya reservation directed to their dealership.
please note: Puyallup Nissan did stipulate that zero MSRP mark up would only apply to Washington State residents who chose to direct their preorder to them.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts