Nissan Ariya Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Cheap. :cool:
So, I searched for the most cost effective way to install Level 2 charging for my home's situation. I have a small (100 Amp) Electrical Mainbox.. For me to safely do 40 amp charging, I would need to upgrade or add a sub-box. we're talking $2.5K and up.. So.. since I already had a Nema 10-30 in the garage for the dryer (Yes.. it's an old house :)) I chose to go this route. You can hook your electric dryer and charger up to the splitvolt and it switches the 24 amp current automatically back and forth from dryer to charger with the dryer having priority if the Ariya is charging. Just start the dryer, the Ariya automatically stops charging until drying is done then charging resumes.

Yellow Gas Building House Table

Light Product Gadget Input device Peripheral

Automotive lighting Gas Automotive tire Sidewalk Asphalt

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

If you do still have a Nema 10-30, be sure to upgrade it to an industrial grade outlet.. even though I tested this setup for a few minutes before I upgraded the outlet, Being almost 30 years old I did not trust the 30 amp circuit to deliver hours of charging even @ 80% (24 amps) not to mention its was no longer (if ever) torque @ 25 in.. I now feel 100% confident that all is well for overnight charging. total $$$ was < $700.00.
Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gadget Digital camera

Platinum Plus White / Gray Interior
47 Posts
Agree with heavy duty cycle plug replacement! That old plug was never meant for continuous EV charging! Inspect wiring and all torque specifications! How’s the old breaker condition? 40amp?🤔

130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree with heavy duty cycle plug replacement! That old plug was never meant for continuous EV charging! Inspect wiring and all torque specifications! How’s the old breaker condition? 40amp?🤔
On a NEMA 10-30 its a 30 amp breaker.
I think on NEMA 14-50's its a 50 amp.
Torque is 25 in-lbs ( and.. you need to wiggle the wires and re-torque MULTIPLE times ) before reassembly.
The nice thing about the Splitvolt unit is it has it's own circult breaker built into the On/Off switch. There is a review on Y.T. were a guy keeps his Tessy @ 32 amps to see what the Splitvolt will do.. after about 10 seconds, it trips it's internal breaker.. That's not enough time to heat up any of your wiring. My Dryer only pulls the required "80%" so it stays @ 24 amps.. same for my splitvolt charger which is a native 24 amp unit.. The screen shows Kwh, Total power consumed for that session, Watts and Amps drawn.. It's pretty slick.. and pretty safe. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts