Nissan Ariya Forum banner

Range estimate when battery 100% charge?

12K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  PNWariya 
#1 ·
I have Evolve+ up to 289 miles range but it seems that no matter what, my Ariya may never hit that number.
The best I could get was 262 miles fully charge and that was with B-mode, e-Step, ECO mode and no freeway driving.
Anytime it involved freeway driving with 65-70 miles speed, the range drops to around 240 miles fully charged.
If I do 80 mph, the range dropped even further to just 210 miles at full charge. I was shocked!
It is very disappointing.
This tells me that Nissan Ariya relies a lot on regen to achieve the 289 miles and that range is totally guestimate.
If no or little regen, the range would be much lower.

Of course part of the reason why I have not hit the 289 miles magic number is because we are still in winter temperature.
Right now, in northern California, night time lowest temperatures still vary between low 30 to around 45F.

My friend, who lives 13 miles from my house, has Tesla Model Y Performance which is listed as 305 miles range.
When I asked him the current miles range when fully charged, he told me he got 290 miles.
A range reduction of only 15 miles which is darn good considering freezing temperature earlier in February 2023.

Based on my driving tests the past 3 weeks, I estimate that Ariya perhaps loses up to 30-40 miles range in temperature around 25 - 45F.

See less See more
#3 ·
Using the heater takes off a lot of range. I drove my Ariya in January from Auburn CA at 1500 elevation to Sparks NV at 4500 elevation over Donner Pass at 7200 elevation, then back home. Total distance 222 miles, 22% charge left at end, used 70.8 kWh, average 3.14 mi/kWh. No heater, above freezing. I use B mode and e-step and ECO the whole time at 65 mph.

My Bolt EV gets around 4.4 mi/kWh on same trip. I pick up more estimated range from Donner to home than the distance covered. My estimated range looks great for a few days after the downhill run. In the current temperatures, my Bolt efficiency with the heater on looks more like 3.2 mi/kWh around town vs 4.2 with the heater off.

#8 ·
From the EPA's site on range testing
Range Testing for Electric Vehicles
An all-electric vehicle (EV) produces no smog-forming or greenhouse gas emissions from its tailpipe. For EVs, vehicle testing provides important label information, such as fuel economy and range.

For EV range testing:

1. A vehicle with a fully charged battery is driven continuously over the EPA city cycle until the battery is depleted and the vehicle can drive no further. The distance driven is recorded. This is repeated, again starting with a full charge, over the EPA highway cycle, again recording the distance driven when the battery is depleted. This “single cycle” test consists of multiple repeat drives of the city or highway cycle.
  2. Automakers also have the option of doing a multi-cycle test, which consists of four city cycles, two highway cycles, and two constant speed cycles.*
  3. All testing is done in a laboratory on a dynamometer.
  4. The city and highway driving ranges determined from this testing are adjusted to account for real-world factors that are not represented on the laboratory test procedures. These factors include such things the impact of air conditioning, of cold temperatures, and of high speed and aggressive driving behavior. Although the regulations allow some optional approaches, the most common approach is to use a factor of 0.7 to adjust all the test parameters, including range. For example:
    • An EV achieves 200 miles on the highway laboratory test. Real-world highway driving range → 200 x 0.7 = 140 miles to account for aggressive driving and HVAC use.
  5. The adjusted city and highway range values are weighted together by 55% and 45%, respectively, to determine the combined city and highway driving range that appears on the EPA fuel economy label. For example:
    • Assume an adjusted city range of 168 miles and an adjusted highway range of 140 (from example above). The official combined range value → (0.55 x 168) + (0.45 x 140) = 155 miles (values are rounded to the nearest whole number).
Emphasis is mine on #1. The range test runs all the way down to zero.
Also if you look at Bjorn Nyland's videos where he range tests the Ariya, it has a pretty conservative amount of buffer capacity past zero. So in the testing environment you can likely get something around 300 miles total. My point is that real world usage is never always like the test environment, especially if you're driving above speeds of 60mph. Same is true of ICE vehicles.

#9 ·
EPA testing maxes out at 60mph for highway... Yeah, if you go faster, or are driving in cold or very hot weather, you won't get the EPA range. You just can't stop physics when it comes to energy required for greater speed. The Tesla has a lower frontal area and drag coefficient. One of the nice things about the Ariya, the higher ground clearance, also costs efficiency at higher speeds. That's one of the reasons high ground clearance is rare on EVs. FWIW, I've been coming in between 260-270, so am fine with that. I've also never gotten EPA estimated gas mileage except on the rare trip with a tailwind or something like that, for the same reason as above - speed.

#10 ·
The gauge is a "guess a meter," you only get an estimate and as you drive it changes. So whatever any car says at the beginning may differ from actual miles you can drive, including Tesla. Driving above about 70 will drastically drop range due to drag forces.

#11 ·
It's also important to keep in mind that the EPA mileage estimate is based on a mixed-use pattern of city driving and is done on a rolling road not on a real street or highway so it is almost never reflective of steady-state highway range where you have higher average speeds and little to no benefit from brake regen. That's why a lot of independent sources like Car and Driver and the Out of Spec YouTube channel base their range estimates on a 70 mph sustained highway cruise - unfortunately neither has tested the Ariya yet. Could you get 289 miles of range from a 87KwH Ariya? Yes, if you drove 289 miles continuously in stop-start city driving which no one in their right mind is likely to do regularly in one sitting.

The Ariya has more drag overall than other smaller, lower to the ground EVs so it loses out in high-speed highway cruising. According to Bjorn Nyland's videos though it's got a pretty efficient powertrain so it does fairly well around town.

#12 ·
I have Evolve+ up to 289 miles range but it seems that no matter what, my Ariya may never hit that number.
The best I could get was 262 miles fully charge and that was with B-mode, e-Step, ECO mode and no freeway driving.
Anytime it involved freeway driving with 65-70 miles speed, the range drops to around 240 miles fully charged.
If I do 80 mph, the range dropped even further to just 210 miles at full charge. I was shocked!
This tells me that Nissan Ariya relies a lot on regen to achieve the 289 miles and that range is totally guestimate.

Of course part of the reason why I have not hit the 289 miles magic number is because we are still in winter temperature.
Right now, in northern California, night time lowest temperatures still vary between low 30 to around 45F.

My friend, who lives 13 miles from my house, has Tesla Model Y Performance which is listed as 305 miles range.
When I asked him the current miles range when fully charged, he told me he got 290 miles.
A range reduction of only 15 miles which is darn good considering freezing temperature earlier in February 2023.

Based on my driving tests the past 3 weeks, I estimate that Ariya perhaps loses up to 30-40 miles range in temperature around 25 - 45F.
I had a model 3 with a 330-mile battery. I only got in the high 200s at Interstate speed limits but better with stop-and-go driving in town. This is the nature of EVs: they get better mileage around town. We have to readjust our perception of mileage and range to the opposite of gasoline cars.

#13 ·
Interesting video on highway speed range test. MY has longest range (285 miles) and best efficiency as expected. Ariya has the second longest range (267 miles) and closest to estimation. I've got similar range on my Evolve+ at freeway speed. In slower city traffic, my Evolve+ can drive 300+ miles.

#14 ·
I have had my Ariya Evolve+ for a couple of months now. It is rated for 289 miles range. When I picked it up, it was fully charged and showed 320 mile range, which was more than I expected, but I figured it probably wouldn't actually get that range. That was my experience with the Leaf I owned for 10+ years. Anyway, over time, it has continued to increase the projected range at full charge. This morning, after fully charging last night, the range was up to 348. I think the car is predicting the range based on my driving habits. I have consistently gotten well above the EPA estimate for the car. Having driven a Leaf for more than a decade, I think I have developed good "range habits." I generally drive around 62 the freeway, which is plenty fast for me. Driving very fast will reduce the range of an electric car. I like the idea of slowing down just a bit; it is safer and it gives me pleasure knowing that my electric car will take me almost as far as a gas vehicle at a fraction of the cost and with zero emissions. I am smitten with my Ariya.

#15 ·
My current range is shown as 175 at 59% battery, so that is 296 miles if at 100%. I've been consistent with this around 275-300 for over a dozen long drives. Driving 85% highway, trying to keep the cruise at 70 MPH, Southern CA, without climate use (or minimal), just driver, fan mode.

#16 ·

Got ariya venture plus since Jan 2023 , always getting 300 miles plus
Even this morning charged upto 90 percent , showing 318 miles charge
Of course Ariya Venture Plus is very basic car , but range is excellant

#20 ·
I have had my Platinum Plus AWD for 3 weeks. With a mix of 1/3 hwy driving and 2/3s in town, I am showing 284 miles on a 100% charge. It is rated at 269. I am improving as I learn more. I drive mostly in B mode with E-Step. I am now trying using eco mode with B mode and e-step to see if that improves my range. I'm curious to see what others have learned.

#21 ·
I have a Platinum+ AWD for about 3 weeks as well.
At 100% it shows 349 miles. Most of my drive is 45mph and I am averaging about 4mkwh, but my best was 5.6mkwh
Honestly, I havent tried to drive from 100% to 0% yet! But I think I would get over 300mi, simply because my commute doesnt include a highway.

#24 ·
Having major range issues on a long trip. I made my first long trip from Northern Virginia to Rochester, NY, roughly 380 miles. When fully charged at home the range showed as 345. I figured one charge along the way. Well, I got far less mileage than the range showed, 30-40% less. It was scary watching the range decrease at such a fast rate. Drove in ECO mode on both flat and hilly highways. Minimal a/c, radio on. Am I doing something wrong? Advice?

#25 · (Edited)
You should use the trip meter and watch the miles per kWh numbers/chart. That gives you the realtime efficiency. The estimated range will be based on past driving, so if you were driving slow speeds the range will be high, but highway driving is fast and not efficient, so you probably get 260-290 on the highway.

If you drive faster than about 70mph, that will really drop the range as the aerodynamic drag increases significantly.

#41 ·
Thats my problem... avg charge range on GOM has been going down each time i charge from 20% to 100. Nissan has no answers as to why. Been driving in eco and estep. Added B mode this week once i learned how to get into it. Its tricky, like getting into neutral at the carwash. (Oh how they love me there).

#42 ·
We just bought an Engage, 3 months ago, and it has been in the shop almost 30 total days, with lots of issues. As far as battery charge, the engage we were told could get up to 220, we have rarely on a full charge see it over 200, most cases a full 100% charge is 189. When we brought it up, we were told it is UP to 220 but they don't guarantee it. Not to mention the service advisor said he doesn't get paid enough to care to fix it.

#43 ·
Ugh what a terrible response! Maybe look into what your state has regarding "lemon laws"...

Oops I almost forgot -- welcome to the forum! While many of us have had trouble-free experiences, there are a number of interesting threads where others have detailed their issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.