Nissan Ariya Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up our Venture+ on January 2nd! I was told I am the first person in Northern Cali to get this vehicle in 2023! That was both exciting and a bit worrying--which comes with being the "innovator" or "early adopter" of this model.
Then after a few days a Service EV System Warning message came on. Of course at this point, no one at Nissan knew what this message meant. The manual also does not explicitly call out this message (as far as i could find). Brought it in and they had service staff and corporate check it out: All was fine, there was one code that they was "passing", so they cleared and reset it, and I've been good since then.

The possible culprit: Prior to this I was charging my Venture+ with a commercial Electrify America charging station and with the Nissan supplied level one charger. Then I bought a Level 2 charger off of Amazon--Vevor brand
The car gave the Service EV System Warning message after using this charger. I returned it for a full refund from Amazon.

The service department at Premier Nissan strongly suspects this charger was the culprit. The service advisor told me that the has been hearing of other cases of Ariya and new Leafs having this error, related to what kind of charger is used. Service advisor suspects that the Ariya and new Leafs are very sensitive to chargers.

SO...please share your experiences. What level 2 charger do you recommend? I've set a budget of $200.
(Service advisor was recommending EVBox Elvi, and Nissan offers a small discount on WallBox Pulsar Plus. Both are over $500, I think.)
Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Car Motor vehicle

81 Posts
Picked up our Venture+ on January 2nd! I was told I am the first person in Northern Cali to get this vehicle in 2023! That was both exciting and a bit worrying--which comes with being the "innovator" or "early adopter" of this model.
Then after a few days a Service EV System Warning message came on. Of course at this point, no one at Nissan knew what this message meant. The manual also does not explicitly call out this message (as far as i could find). Brought it in and they had service staff and corporate check it out: All was fine, there was one code that they was "passing", so they cleared and reset it, and I've been good since then.

The possible culprit: Prior to this I was charging my Venture+ with a commercial Electrify America charging station and with the Nissan supplied level one charger. Then I bought a Level 2 charger off of Amazon--Vevor brand
The car gave the Service EV System Warning message after using this charger. I returned it for a full refund from Amazon.

The service department at Premier Nissan strongly suspects this charger was the culprit. The service advisor told me that the has been hearing of other cases of Ariya and new Leafs having this error, related to what kind of charger is used. Service advisor suspects that the Ariya and new Leafs are very sensitive to chargers.

SO...please share your experiences. What level 2 charger do you recommend? I've set a budget of $200.
(Service advisor was recommending EVBox Elvi, and Nissan offers a small discount on WallBox Pulsar Plus. Both are over $500, I think.) View attachment 1091
Sorry to hear the trouble you're having. I would highly recommend using UL listed EVSE chargers. They start from $450 onwards. Please stay away from no name brands and protect your $50K car.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point to use a UL listed EVSE charger. The one I bought was such, per what I read on Amazon and from web searches (high ratings). These chargers are not complex devices...but the "off-brands" are proving to be risky.

233 Posts
I'm considering this one, which is $399. If you want to spend only $200, it won't be full charging speed, maybe only 16 amp.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm considering this one, which is $399. If you want to spend only $200, it won't be full charging speed, maybe only 16 amp.
Thanks for the recommendation. Please share your experience if/when you get the Emporia (or other).

40 Posts
Honestly, I just bought the Wallbox Pulsar Plus recommended by Nissan. Yes, over $600, but if they recommend it, then it can't be too bad. Besides, it was recommend by Tom Moloughney on the State of Charge YouTube channel.

2023 Nissan Ariya
302 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. Please share your experience if/when you get the Emporia (or other).
I bought Mustart on Amazon $360. After looking at reviews Emporia was rated #1,Mustart #4 so both in Top 5 (y) , I bought mine a year ago not realizing upper models Evolve+ come with Level 2 Power Cord already. I will use the one that came with Ariya and keep Mustart for Backup or Road Trip . Should have car Feb 10🤞🤞🤞🤞 I will use very minimum 1st year until my EVGO expires.

99 Posts
Honestly, I just bought the Wallbox Pulsar Plus recommended by Nissan. Yes, over $600, but if they recommend it, then it can't be too bad. Besides, it was recommend by Tom Moloughney on the State of Charge YouTube channel.
Only $499 if you use your Ariya reservation number at checkout. Mine is arriving tomorrow.

17 Posts
I use a Chargepoint Flex.

Agree that it's worth investing in a good charger which will last the life of the EV (and possibly your next one)

I think you also get a tax credit for an EV charger depending on your tax liability, so that may lessen your up-front investment.

31 Posts
Not sure where in NorCal you're at but here's a good list of resources on rebates.

I would avoid the Chinesium junk on Amazon if you can.

2010 Nissan GT-R, 1999 GT-R Spec V, 1990 GT-R Nismo, 2013 Scion FR-S, 2017 Armada
37 Posts
Have a Chargepoint Flex ordered and arriving next week. Pricey, yes, but well-reviewed, full-featured, and our local utility offers a $250 rebate on it so at least that helps with the cost. My local Nissan dealer also has them so I've used them with my Ariya and know they work fine. Really wouldn't want to trust anything but a well-known brand to send so much juice for hours on end to a pricey new car so I bit the bullet on the added upfront cost for the extra long-term peace of mind.

5 Posts
I remember a few of the early LEAFs around 2012 had issues with a diode being damaged by certain L2 EVSE's. That being said, it was a roughly 75 cent diode that was buried under $4000 dollars of labor to get to. Moral of the story, don't use shady chargers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts