Nissan Ariya Forum banner
121 - 140 of 250 Posts

479 Posts
A definite positive is how long the Ariya has been delayed. The Mach-E was rushed to market for sure. Same with the Solterra/bz4x. Rivians too. I would not touch a Fisker Ocean as they seem to be throwing out a half-finished car to the public.
I agree 100% with your perspective on the delay of Ariya and the shortcomings of rushing to market with first generation product. IMO the only improvements Nissan could have done better during global material shortages process would be to have provided better communication with their reservation holders. However without any proof to support it, I suspect Nissan of North America is where the breakdown occurred. I had the ability to grade them on communication it would be a solid D-.

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
336 Posts
Ariya is a great choice as it is fully featured with latest tech. The ride is good and interiors are near luxury (or luxury). It’s just pricey and it is a first gen EV so there is risk involved in buying one now.
When I attended the 2021 LA Auto Show back in Nov, my intention was to check out Audi eTron, Rivian RTS, Genesis GV60, and VW ID4. Unfortunately, none of those makes was at the show. My top pick was the GV60 going into the show. Since the Hyundai EV6 was at the show, I sat in it. It felt uncomfortable to me due to big blind spot in the rear C pillar. I immediately scratched off GV60 off my list.

I walked the show floor and there was Ariya. I had never heard of Ariya in my life at that time. When I saw the Ariya in dual tone colors, i immediately fell in love with it. My biggest decision factor to place the order for Ariya was because Nissan’s 11 yrs of electrification experience at that point in time. I like to think I’m pragmatic, frugal, and rational thinker. For $50K with all the bells and whistles, it was a no brainer. I’m the consumer type that demands more for less $. Whereas, with the Tesla, it was the opposite. You get much less for more money!

I am pleases that Nissan is taking their sweet time to work out their quality issues, if any. I am willing to wait for a defect free vehicle from Nissan. Slow and steady wins the race in my book.

479 Posts
Not to worry on quality Tom. My wife and I were fortunate by having the opportunity to attend an Ariya ride and drive event in Tacoma,Wa last summer. My wife wasn’t convinced that we should jump into a new EV until she saw the Ariya and drive it. (She’s a hard sell but was pretty stoked as we drove home from that event. ) We also got to spend some quality time last week with an Engage trim at our local dealership. Even the entry level Engage trim was as impressive as the Premiere trim(s) we saw at last summers event. The Ariya ride also reminds me of our the smooth ride of first gen Lexus LS400 that we owned nearly 30 years ago. For those who have never had the pleasure of riding or driving a first gen LS this is not a knock on Ariya because that was a sweet ride! By comparison I can honestly say that the exterior fit and finish as well as the interior quality of the Ariya is right up there with our vintage Lexus.
On a side note, what part of Canada do you live?

37 Posts
Not to worry on quality Tom. My wife and I were fortunate by having the opportunity to attend an Ariya ride and drive event in Tacoma,Wa last summer. My wife wasn’t convinced that we should jump into a new EV until she saw the Ariya and drive it. (She’s a hard sell but was pretty stoked as we drove home from that event. ) We also got to spend some quality time last week with an Engage trim at our local dealership. Even the entry level Engage trim was as impressive as the Premiere trim(s) we saw at last summers event. The Ariya ride also reminds me of our the smooth ride of first gen Lexus LS400 that we owned nearly 30 years ago. For those who have never had the pleasure of riding or driving a first gen LS this is not a knock on Ariya because that was a sweet ride! By comparison I can honestly say that the exterior fit and finish as well as the interior quality of the Ariya is right up there with our vintage Lexus.
On a side note, what part of Canada do you live?
Hi. Your reassurance on quality fits with my expectations on this vehicle....would be nice to see some AWD arrivals. We are north of Kelowna BC in the Okanagan valley. Love it here but fires have nasty last few years. We need AWD up here with snow and ice. Dealer in Kelowna seems excellent and also part of the decision. Just twiddle the thumbs a few more months. My order was the first at the dealer but expect they will see FWD first. Cheers

37 Posts
Hi. Your reassurance on quality fits with my expectations on this vehicle....would be nice to see some AWD arrivals. We are north of Kelowna BC in the Okanagan valley. Love it here but fires have nasty last few years. We need AWD up here with snow and ice. Dealer in Kelowna seems excellent and also part of the decision. Just twiddle the thumbs a few more months. My order was the first at the dealer but expect they will see FWD first. Cheers
PS. If you are in the Tacoma area I'm sure you're now quite familiar with fires and floods😉

479 Posts
Hopefully FWD trims are heading your way soon. So maybe your delivery will follow just a little behind AWD deliveries in the states. What trim level for AWD did Ariya offer in the Canadian market?

2023 Ariya Evolve+, Boulder Grey Pearl, Charcoal, 19" , FWD, Long
26 Posts
My point was that volume sales seem to have become the driving force and direction where Elon‘s brand is headed now. Unfortunately quality as well as ethics appear to have become casualties in the process. Regardless, the world is watching now, so we’ll have to see how this movie ends. Time will tell if your theory comes true in which you believe that the majority of people really don’t care and economics are winning.
Economically speaking, my money will always be on Ben Franklin who was wise beyond his years when he said: “The bitterness of poor nquality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten”
I agree with you regarding Tesla's pushing volume with little regards to quality. We own a model 3 and saw first hand in 2021 how Tesla was already changing then from the days of well made model S and X. We rejected the first car we got as they had deep scatches under the front and rear bumper probably due to not knowing how to unload a car off a carrier. Also too many flaws for a then $40K car. Now its time to buy another new car and Tesla is not on our list. Ordered both the ID4 and Ariya. ID4 due in next week but, thanks to a tip from one of the posters here, found VW is no longer using a heat pump on the US model. Will probably go check out the ID4 when it gets here but will not be buying. What other corners did they cut due to parts shortage/greed? While you get a tax break, they are using cheaper parts and raising the price. Still paying over $40K after tax break.

I have driven the Ariya on their road show and can say the car rides better than model 3 and Y. The Ariya also handles better when I was going around the track a few times shows. Tesla marketing aside, I would buy the Ariya over the Y even at today's price point. My Nissan dealer did call yesterday to confirm my address as they confirm they reservation. He also said 'it getting closer...' Without the tax break, the Evolved we order is a little more than we wanted to pay. Too bad we can't move down to the base model. We expect EVs to continue to get better so still on the fence whether to take delivery of the Ariya.

336 Posts
I agree with you regarding Tesla's pushing volume with little regards to quality. We own a model 3 and saw first hand in 2021 how Tesla was already changing then from the days of well made model S and X. We rejected the first car we got as they had deep scatches under the front and rear bumper probably due to not knowing how to unload a car off a carrier. Also too many flaws for a then $40K car. Now its time to buy another new car and Tesla is not on our list. Ordered both the ID4 and Ariya. ID4 due in next week but, thanks to a tip from one of the posters here, found VW is no longer using a heat pump on the US model. Will probably go check out the ID4 when it gets here but will not be buying. What other corners did they cut due to parts shortage/greed? While you get a tax break, they are using cheaper parts and raising the price. Still paying over $40K after tax break.

I have driven the Ariya on their road show and can say the car rides better than model 3 and Y. The Ariya also handles better when I was going around the track a few times shows. Tesla marketing aside, I would buy the Ariya over the Y even at today's price point. My Nissan dealer did call yesterday to confirm my address as they confirm they reservation. He also said 'it getting closer...' Without the tax break, the Evolved we order is a little more than we wanted to pay. Too bad we can't move down to the base model. We expect EVs to continue to get better so still on the fence whether to take delivery of the Ariya.
does your state offer tax incentives like we do here in CA?

136 Posts

I doubt you'd be happy with an ID.4 after you've tasted the Ariya/S/X. VW cut premium audio from the top-trim a few months ago and the only premium feature the Pro S Plus has over the other trims is a 360 camera. Ariya blows the ID.4 away in many areas - except price. When I test drove the Ariya...I said this is what I expected the near $50K ID.4 to be (I owned an ID.4 in 2021).

For me it was always Ariya vs. Lyriq. Now with my Lyriq order pushed to MY2024 (probably early summer 2023 delivery) with possibly config changes and price increases...the Ariya has returned back into contention.

479 Posts

In comparison to the Ariya, the id.4 has two significant issues that are a no go for my situation. # 1. The flawed UI is a glaring reminder to me that VW chooses to continue to pump out cars while making little progress to remedy this significant flaw. #2. Extremely wide door sills makes ingress & egress difficult for my wife. Those two items combined with the lack of a Heat Pump in the US market combined with rear drum brakes makes me wonder what other comparative features VW has omitted to reduce cost?

2023 Ariya Evolve+, Boulder Grey Pearl, Charcoal, 19" , FWD, Long
26 Posts
does your state offer tax incentives like we do here in CA?
I'm in the bay area so there will be some tax breaks I may quantify for. Its tough to stomach if Nissan had just delivered the car in 2022 that the car would be reasonability priced. We have a 2007 prius and have gone through battery replacement. All the gas saving over 10 years went back to Toyota to replace the hybrid battery. All EVs will someday require a battery replacement that we don't have an idea on cost. Great to be green but there's a cost.

336 Posts
I'm in the bay area so there will be some tax breaks I may quantify for. Its tough to stomach if Nissan had just delivered the car in 2022 that the car would be reasonability priced. We have a 2007 prius and have gone through battery replacement. All the gas saving over 10 years went back to Toyota to replace the hybrid battery. All EVs will someday require a battery replacement that we don't have an idea on cost. Great to be green but there's a cost.
This is why I plan to purchase the extended warranty down the road. Once the warranty is up, it's bye bye!!

My father's current 2015 Lexus CT200h (Prius engine) has been trouble free since purchased new. It has about 72K miles currently. Everything works as it should! I trust Nissan and Lexus. I don't ever trust Tesla.

14 Posts
Just had a chance to drive the Kia EV6, an Ariya, and a Model Y today. Gotta say the Y is a hoot to drive- and the road noise wasn’t bad at all. It is a totally different animal than the Ariya. The Y is a nerd car. It’s an iPhone car that’s got that minimalist interior with power to spare and AWD. The sound system is amazing . The big bonus- it’s got true one pedal driving. Can’t believe Nissan screwed the pooch on one of my favorite features that I loved in the Leaf. It also has a ton of room in the trunk and the bonus frunk. The downsides were the tiny side view mirrors and the view out the back. They sucked. Having one screen was awkward but got used to it pretty quickly. It is also an ugly car but it isn’t an Aztec.

The EV6 wasn’t a bad car either. As some folks mentioned- it was a little dark in the back and a little bit claustrophobic. The design is gorgeous with plenty of gee whiz gadgets. I more see it like a futuristic spacecraft cockpit- e.g. what the marketing team thinks the anime nerds would like. I think “Ghost in the Shell” design. Designed very well but lacks the oomph that the Y has. Is it fun? It’s ok. It also has AWD at $55K with no market adjustments which is a bonus.

I also drove the Venture+ which was a nice rig. I really liked the HUD which made it easy to see how fast I was going. The Y- you had to glance down at the oversized ipad. The Ariya is designed like a luxury car with great detailing. It’s open and airy. It’s Airiya. Har har. Visibility is also great. That said, the trunk space isn’t huge but big enough. I think the road noise was the same as the others but it may also be because of, as others have noted, the trim. I wasn’t a big fan of the haptic buttons. They were awkward- and I did not like the position of the driving mode being so far back on the armrest. Should have been on the steering wheel or farther up front like on the Leaf. The screens were a little less crisp than in the EV6 and the Y.

To be honest, I can’t make up my mind yet. I’m going to drive all three again tomorrow with the family and get their feedback. They got in the Y and loved it- and the wife was wondering whether the $7500 difference is worth it especially w/o the AWD. We’ll see tomorrow.

And I also looked at the Polestar. Pffttt.

336 Posts
Just had a chance to drive the Kia EV6, an Ariya, and a Model Y today. Gotta say the Y is a hoot to drive- and the road noise wasn’t bad at all. It is a totally different animal than the Ariya. The Y is a nerd car. It’s an iPhone car that’s got that minimalist interior with power to spare and AWD. The sound system is amazing . The big bonus- it’s got true one pedal driving. Can’t believe Nissan screwed the pooch on one of my favorite features that I loved in the Leaf. It also has a ton of room in the trunk and the bonus frunk. The downsides were the tiny side view mirrors and the view out the back. They sucked. Having one screen was awkward but got used to it pretty quickly. It is also an ugly car but it isn’t an Aztec.

The EV6 wasn’t a bad car either. As some folks mentioned- it was a little dark in the back and a little bit claustrophobic. The design is gorgeous with plenty of gee whiz gadgets. I more see it like a futuristic spacecraft cockpit- e.g. what the marketing team thinks the anime nerds would like. I think “Ghost in the Shell” design. Designed very well but lacks the oomph that the Y has. Is it fun? It’s ok. It also has AWD at $55K with no market adjustments which is a bonus.

I also drove the Venture+ which was a nice rig. I really liked the HUD which made it easy to see how fast I was going. The Y- you had to glance down at the oversized ipad. The Ariya is designed like a luxury car with great detailing. It’s open and airy. It’s Airiya. Har har. Visibility is also great. That said, the trunk space isn’t huge but big enough. I think the road noise was the same as the others but it may also be because of, as others have noted, the trim. I wasn’t a big fan of the haptic buttons. They were awkward- and I did not like the position of the driving mode being so far back on the armrest. Should have been on the steering wheel or farther up front like on the Leaf. The screens were a little less crisp than in the EV6 and the Y.

To be honest, I can’t make up my mind yet. I’m going to drive all three again tomorrow with the family and get their feedback. They got in the Y and loved it- and the wife was wondering whether the $7500 difference is worth it especially w/o the AWD. We’ll see tomorrow.

please make sure to review the list we created why Ariya is a better value with all the standard features not found in MY

14 Posts

Venture is all manual everything (seats, center console, glove box). And it doesn’t have HUD or a sunroof

121 - 140 of 250 Posts