Nissan Ariya Forum banner
141 - 160 of 250 Posts

102 Posts
please make sure to review the list we created why Ariya is a better value with all the standard features not found in MY
If pricing were equal, then yes the Ariya might be a better value depending on the features you value.
But to get AWD, you need to step up into the high 50s, whereas its standard on the MY which qualifies for the $7500.
At the end of the day, the $7500 was the difference maker.

37 Posts
Not to worry on quality Tom. My wife and I were fortunate by having the opportunity to attend an Ariya ride and drive event in Tacoma,Wa last summer. My wife wasn’t convinced that we should jump into a new EV until she saw the Ariya and drive it. (She’s a hard sell but was pretty stoked as we drove home from that event. ) We also got to spend some quality time last week with an Engage trim at our local dealership. Even the entry level Engage trim was as impressive as the Premiere trim(s) we saw at last summers event. The Ariya ride also reminds me of our the smooth ride of first gen Lexus LS400 that we owned nearly 30 years ago. For those who have never had the pleasure of riding or driving a first gen LS this is not a knock on Ariya because that was a sweet ride! By comparison I can honestly say that the exterior fit and finish as well as the interior quality of the Ariya is right up there with our vintage Lexus.
On a side note, what part of Canada do you live?
Models and trims a bit different up here. Top end AWD long range is called Platinum plus, which then comes in Premiere edition with a couple of cosmetic extras. Confusing vs US models.

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
336 Posts
If pricing were equal, then yes the Ariya might be a better value depending on the features you value.
But to get AWD, you need to step up into the high 50s, whereas its standard on the MY which qualifies for the $7500.
At the end of the day, the $7500 was the difference maker.
With AWD, it just means less range. Nothing fascinating to me unless 0-60 is important to the buyers with AWD.

336 Posts
Models and trims a bit different up here. Top end AWD long range is called Platinum plus, which then comes in Premiere edition with a couple of cosmetic extras. Confusing vs US models.
I think this is where Nissan can improve on pricing for 2024 Ariya against MY. They need to downsize the number of trims down to 3 trims. Make panoramic moonroof with sunshade cover as an option. Eliminate the motorized arm rest console, make the extra 12.3” screen as an option for low end trim, offer 18” wheels on the low end trim, and etc. These 5 features should easily cut the price by $5000. It will sell like hot pancakes if they can price it accordingly at $39K for well equipped entry level trim.

479 Posts
I'm in the bay area so there will be some tax breaks I may quantify for. Its tough to stomach if Nissan had just delivered the car in 2022 that the car would be reasonability priced. We have a 2007 prius and have gone through battery replacement. All the gas saving over 10 years went back to Toyota to replace the hybrid battery. All EVs will someday require a battery replacement that we don't have an idea on cost. Great to be green but there's a cost.
Our 2011 Leaf‘s battery has degraded just 22% since new. Although range for sure has been impacted by this degradation, every day driving performance is unchanged. The real downside of losing 22% battery on our 2011 Leaf, it began its life with a very small 24KW (Gross) battery. As new the EPA range of our Leaf was 74 miles…....you can do the math as to how our real world range is impacted by the 22% degradation of our small battery.
Based on my experience living with our early generation Leaf with such a small battery, I’m not at all concerned with an Ariya fitted with the large battery. To extrapolate seems to me that ten years from now our Ariya will still have a real world range of no less than 200+ miles which is the real world range a buyer today should expect from a Leaf + model that is fitted with a large battery. Therefore as far as I’m concerned the Ariya fitted with the large 91/87KW battery has a built in safety factor that will help guard against short term battery replacement. Who knows, 20 years from now an Ariya fitted with the big battery may still have a real world range of 150 miles. If so that‘s two times more range than our 2011 Leaf could ever travel when it was new.....Pretty amazing to me how far the practically of owning an EV has evolved in just over a decade.

479 Posts
I think this is where Nissan can improve on pricing for 2024 Ariya against MY. They need to downsize the number of trims down to 3 trims. Make panoramic moonroof with sunshade cover as an option. Eliminate the motorized arm rest console, make the extra 12.3” screen as an option for low end trim, offer 18” wheels on the low end trim, and etc. These 5 features should easily cut the price by $5000. It will sell like hot pancakes if they can price it accordingly at $39K for well equipped entry level trim.
Nissan may consider some of your cost saving measures (short term) to lower the price point of the entry trim level of Ariya. However for the long term I speculate Nissan won’t downscale the Ariya too drastically since it was initially designed and intended to be Nissans top tier EV offering. To that end I believe Nissans direction to offer a lower cost EV to compete with the likes of the Bolt and others will likely utilize the same platform as the Ariya. My understanding is Nissan is already moving that direction and developing a smaller EV that has little in common with the Leaf. Perhaps Nissan‘s own version of the Renault Megane E-tech?

250 Posts
I test drove the Model Y LR today. It is quite fast and the steering seemed good, though not really enough time to compare. However I didn't like that the one pedal setting was fixed, so it is not adjustable and can't be turned off. In the past I believe there was adjustment, but this is probably due to the EPA range testing, they needed to keep this setting for the range. The wind noise seemed more than my current commute vehicle (RAV4), but less road noise. My measurements using my sound meter showed about 72+ dBA when on a concrete highway at 70mph. This is slightly higher than Bjorn Nyland's test results, his are around 70, so my results are probably reasonable. The ride seemed okay from the brief time, slight steering wheel vibration on rougher road. Making U turns were fairly wide, which wasnt great.

There is a lot of stuff going on in the left side of the screen, and I find my hand blocks the bottom left corner of that screen, so I didn't like looking over to see what was going on. The size of the car is bigger than Ariya and so the interior space is good size. It just misses most of the features I use in my own vehicle. The dead pedal area was too small, my shoe didn't fit on that spot and I kept wanting to move it, the Model 3 dead pedal spot was larger, so there is some loss of space on that side in the Y.

There were no parking sensors features in this vehicle so when I parked there was nothing telling me I was getting too close to the wall or nearby car. Apparently this will come back at a later time.

For me having to keep looking at the screen on the side to see the read outs, blind spot cameras, animations, etc... wasn't desirable, since I wasn't seeing the road at the same time. It seems a HUD/driver display is what I would prefer.

47 Posts
Went and test drove the MY with family yesterday...just took the plunge and ordered it.
At the end, performance was the main factor I am looking for which was why I choose the Platinum+ (normally I would choose the lower trim for the same performance). With the lower MSRP + tax credit compared to Platinum+...the MY is the more logical choice that fits my need. Sucks that I will be missing out on the red Ariya...I am certain I would have enjoyed the look of that over the MY.

479 Posts
Went and test drove the MY with family yesterday...just took the plunge and ordered it.
At the end, performance was the main factor I am looking for which was why I choose the Platinum+ (normally I would choose the lower trim for the same performance). With the lower MSRP + tax credit compared to Platinum+...the MY is the more logical choice that fits my need. Sucks that I will be missing out on the red Ariya...I am certain I would have enjoyed the look of that over the MY.
I truly hope the M Y works out for you. Regardless I love the looks of the Ariya in Passion Red ……at least until you open up the doors. I really doubt that you will be missing out on the ugly blue leather interior clashing so badly with the Passion Red paint. I had reserved that same configuration before I decided that I just couldn’t handle looking at that ugly blue leather every day. Finally had to come to my senses and convert my reservation last summer to an Ocean blue Evolve + with light gray interior.

70 Posts
I'm not going to jump too hard into the fray, if for no other reason than to say most items have been well covered. I can say these three things:

1) Nissan's absolute failure to communicate, followed up by my dealers continued mistakes/failures (they continue to insist I can change my order even now) have really really turned me off.
2) Cripes, what happens if I need parts for this thing? I've STILL never even seen one.
3) My confidence Nissan is long term viable is softening. Meanwhile my believe that Tesla is long term is increased.

Worse, even though I'm a commitment letter holder, at this moment the IRS documents make it pretty darn clear that if it wasn't delivered in 2022 it's worthless. Mind you that's not what the law, or the Treasury say. Ask my tax advisor? I have, and we'll see. At this moment the situation seems murky even to them.

Frankly, the Nissan ride/luxury aspect is tempting enough to make me consider taking a chance. Forgive Nissan and forego the tax credit? Nope. I'd take the much larger and probably equally lux CX-90, and/or wait to hear more on the Blazer.

So for me it's this: Tesla gets here before March deadline? I own it. If not evaluate what new tax credit ruling allows. If poor and it seems I can get the credit (which I question), then Ariya, else CX-90 or Blazer.

336 Posts
1) Nissan's absolute failure to communicate, followed up by my dealers continued mistakes/failures (they continue to insist I can change my order even now) have really really turned me off..
Do you think everything went smoothly for Tesla during their early days when the 3/Y were launched? I have heard lots of horror stories then. Now that Tesla has many more inventory than ever before, it’s easier to get quick answers on availability.

336 Posts
I test drove the Model Y LR today. It is quite fast and the steering seemed good, though not really enough time to compare. However I didn't like that the one pedal setting was fixed, so it is not adjustable and can't be turned off. In the past I believe there was adjustment, but this is probably due to the EPA range testing, they needed to keep this setting for the range. The wind noise seemed more than my current commute vehicle (RAV4), but less road noise. My measurements using my sound meter showed about 72+ dBA when on a concrete highway at 70mph. This is slightly higher than Bjorn Nyland's test results, his are around 70, so my results are probably reasonable. The ride seemed okay from the brief time, slight steering wheel vibration on rougher road. Making U turns were fairly wide, which wasnt great.

There is a lot of stuff going on in the left side of the screen, and I find my hand blocks the bottom left corner of that screen, so I didn't like looking over to see what was going on. The size of the car is bigger than Ariya and so the interior space is good size. It just misses most of the features I use in my own vehicle. The dead pedal area was too small, my shoe didn't fit on that spot and I kept wanting to move it, the Model 3 dead pedal spot was larger, so there is some loss of space on that side in the Y.

There were no parking sensors features in this vehicle so when I parked there was nothing telling me I was getting too close to the wall or nearby car. Apparently this will come back at a later time.

For me having to keep looking at the screen on the side to see the read outs, blind spot cameras, animations, etc... wasn't desirable, since I wasn't seeing the road at the same time. It seems a HUD/driver display is what I would prefer.
when we rented the Model 3 for our mini road trip, using the lcd screen was very unpleasant experience. My finger tip would slightly shake while driving, and it made it hard for me to pinpoint the exact settings. Also, as a passenger, I’m used to gripping on to a handle but there was NO handle on all 4 seatings. We drove though Malibu Canyon. Imagine the experience being whipped left and right on curvy road without something to hold on to!

336 Posts
Nissan may consider some of your cost saving measures (short term) to lower the price point of the entry trim level of Ariya. However for the long term I speculate Nissan won’t downscale the Ariya too drastically since it was initially designed and intended to be Nissans top tier EV offering. To that end I believe Nissans direction to offer a lower cost EV to compete with the likes of the Bolt and others will likely utilize the same platform as the Ariya. My understanding is Nissan is already moving that direction and developing a smaller EV that has little in common with the Leaf. Perhaps Nissan‘s own version of the Renault Megane E-tech?
Nissan has no answer for Infiniti while Lexus already has RZ450e. I think Nissan should do everything they can to make Ariya the best selling SUV by simplifying the trims and costs. This is their second act and it’s not too late to compete with MY.

The only advantage that Tesla has is the taxpayers’ handouts. Otherwise, Tesla will never be able to compete. Yes, it’s as simple as that….

250 Posts
Nissan has no answer for Infiniti while Lexus already has RZ450e. I think Nissan should do everything they can to make Ariya the best selling SUV by simplifying the trims and costs. This is their second act and it’s not too late to compete with MY.

The only advantage that Tesla has is the taxpayers’ handouts. Otherwise, Tesla will never be able to compete. Yes, it’s as simple as that….
The Lexus has a low range, 220 miles, if it was 300 I would have possibly bought it.

250 Posts
when we rented the Model 3 for our mini road trip, using the lcd screen was very unpleasant experience. My finger tip would slightly shake while driving, and it made it hard for me to pinpoint the exact settings. Also, as a passenger, I’m used to gripping on to a handle but there was NO handle on all 4 seatings. We drove though Malibu Canyon. Imagine the experience being whipped left and right on curvy road without something to hold on to!
Yes, no passenger assist handles is a miss, I use mine and others have used them in my car. No sunglasses holder, sun visor shape too long and thin.

70 Posts
Do you think everything went smoothly for Tesla during their early days when the 3/Y were launched? I have heard lots of horror stories then. Now that Tesla has many more inventory than ever before, it’s easier to get quick answers on availability.
I absolutely agree. I also wasn't interested in owning a Tesla during those times. :)

These are the exact points making me hesitate. Still, I'll know more after I get to see/drive one, and even more after I engage the IRS (if that's possible) for a formal answer. Still trying to keep an open mind, I just need to keep my irritation w/Nissan in check and try to make the "right" decision for me. Which will not likely be the same decision for the next guy, so...

479 Posts
I carefully compared Ariya and Model y before I booked Ariya in early 2022. I like the interior, exterior, and ride of the Ariya better. Plus, Model y is much more expensive than Ariya and has no tax credit at that time. I was happy to choose to wait for Ariya. However, due to the delay, Ariya lost the tax credit. Also, the poor communication with Nissan and the dealer makes me wonder does this company is still the same one I knew.

I called Nissan and the dealer many times, but no one gave me any information about delivery time and tax credit. Many reservationists in the bay area canceled their reservations after the car arrived. There are 5 Ariya listed at Stevens Creek dealer(Santa Clara & San Jose, CA New Nissan Dealer | Stevens Creek Nissan), and I was told I can take anyone away now because previous reservationists did not want it anymore. However, they still don't know when my reservation can arrive.

Model y is cheaper than my Ariya Premiere after the price decrease last night, plus I can get $7500 tax credit from Model y but not Ariya. I still like Ariya more, but $7500 is not small money for me.

I placed an order for an available Model y at bay area last night. But I have not decided to finally pursue it . How about your reservationists' suggestions and decisions?
Here’s a YouTube that may be of interest on this matter just released a few days ago. IMO Nissan of Cookeville does a decent unbiased job comparing the features and benefits of a 2022 Tesla M Y vs a 2023 Ariya Premiere Trim.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 250 Posts