Nissan Ariya Forum banner
161 - 180 of 250 Posts

70 Posts
Meh: It's ok, not great.

1) I expect/hope the Ariya is more impressive in person.
2) Noise ride comfort unaddressed, perhaps the Ariya's most important advantage.
3) He's sort of wrong on the hatch close lock thing, or he missed the boat anyway.
4) The Ariya appeared to have an LED rear view mirror. This is BIG. MY has a really poor view out the inside mirror.
5) It looks like he tested an "older than 2023" model.
6) That Tesla's can be upgraded via software a big deal not addressed.
7) The MY's outside mirrors, which I consider a bit small, also don't indicate a vehicle in your blindspot. A miss in my mind. Dunno on Ariya.
8) MY needs (mostly) a $10 a month data plan for many features to work correctly. Dunno about Ariya.
9) Ariya, in at least top trim, has ventilated seats. Not an option at all on the MY.

So yea, only a so-so video missing what I think are Ariya's larger advantages.

Still, thanks for sharing!

-d

· Super Moderator
275 Posts

2) Noise ride comfort unaddressed, perhaps the Ariya's most important advantage.
3) He's sort of wrong on the hatch close lock thing, or he missed the boat anyway.
4) The Ariya appeared to have an LED rear view mirror. This is BIG. MY has a really poor view out the inside mirror.
7) The MY's outside mirrors, which I consider a bit small, also don't indicate a vehicle in your blindspot. A miss in my mind. Dunno on Ariya.
8) MY needs (mostly) a $10 a month data plan for many features to work correctly. Dunno about Ariya.
9) Ariya, in at least top trim, has ventilated seats. Not an option at all on the MY.

-d
2) Totally true. Ignoring this is huge.
4) My Evolve+ has a camera rear-view mirror. (Flip down for normal mirror, up for camera.) It's a nice feature, but will take a while for me to get used to.
6) Hoping Nissan is good about updates, but it's not likely they'll be anywhere near as good as Tesla is.
7) IMO, the Ariya's outside mirrors are small too, but I'm coming from a Honda Pilot, so there's that. My Evolve+ does have blindspot detection. I don't know about other trims.
8) Using the NissanConnect app will eventually include a fee. I've not seen anything about the car having a fee to continue its data connection though.

54 Posts
Here’s a YouTube that may be of interest on this matter just released a few days ago. IMO Nissan of Cookeville does a decent unbiased job comparing the features and benefits of a 2022 Tesla M Y vs a 2023 Ariya Premiere Trim.
That was a pretty good overview.

Couple notes

The 2023 model Y has a cargo cover.

While you can use the key card to open and drive the model Y, you can also use your phone as a card. In that case, you just leave your phone in your pocket, and the car will unlock and lock for you automatically based on proximity as well as start by putting your foot on the brake and switching into gear.

He stated that the Ariya has one pedal driving and it is does not.

As I have mentioned elsewhere in the forum, there are a variety of aftermarket displays and HUD that are easily mounted above the steeriing wheel. Ther eis also an available aftermarket retractable roof shade.

Everything that he said has to be accessed through the touch screen on the Y can also be accessed through voice control as well which works really well on the model Y.

The Model Y comes with basic autopilot in the base price. This includes adaptive cruise control and autosteer. You do have to keep a hand on the wheel with it. This also works anywhere there are lanes that are marked, whereas the PROPILOT 2 only works on roads Nissan has mapped. There is no further cost for the basic autopilot whereas there is a subscription fee for propilot 2 once the trial runs out.

54 Posts

-d
Addressing point 8, The only thing that you can't do in the Model Y without the subscription plan is access sentry mode remotely. Everything else can be achieved using your phone as a hotspot.

2023 Nissan Ariya Evolve +
336 Posts
That was a pretty good overview.

Couple notes

The 2023 model Y has a cargo cover.

While you can use the key card to open and drive the model Y, you can also use your phone as a card. In that case, you just leave your phone in your pocket, and the car will unlock and lock for you automatically based on proximity as well as start by putting your foot on the brake and switching into gear.

He stated that the Ariya has one pedal driving and it is does not.

As I have mentioned elsewhere in the forum, there are a variety of aftermarket displays and HUD that are easily mounted above the steeriing wheel. Ther eis also an available aftermarket retractable roof shade.

Everything that he said has to be accessed through the touch screen on the Y can also be accessed through voice control as well which works really well on the model Y.

The Model Y comes with basic autopilot in the base price. This includes adaptive cruise control and autosteer. You do have to keep a hand on the wheel with it. This also works anywhere there are lanes that are marked, whereas the PROPILOT 2 only works on roads Nissan has mapped. There is no further cost for the basic autopilot whereas there is a subscription fee for propilot 2 once the trial runs out.
As I mentioned to you on previous post, you don’t buy a premium brand MY just to slap on aftermarket accessories to compensate for their deficiency, and yet still pay over $57K for it. It’s NOT the same user experience. Nothing beats OEM HUD as the way it is intended for use. Also, please be careful using aftermarket display device as an add on because adding aftermarket accessories may void your warranty and or Tesla will refuse fault in case an accident occurs.

Having a glass dome with aftermarket sunscreen is fine. Still, what’s the point of having a nice glass dome when you can’t even open or shut it?

As for phone app to open the door while your phone is in your pocket, well that’s a huge problem for me. When I go to Home Depot, Trader Joe’s, or to my gym, I always leave my phone in the car. I don’t like bulky things in my pockets when I go to these places. See the problem? I prefer a car remote.

Using Voice control to operate the monitor is alway glitchy. We tried it on the Model 3. It’s frustrating user experience.

Ariya Premiere with Pro Pilot 2.0 cost $56K. If you want FSD for your MY, you will be paying $15,000 markup for something you probably don’t use very often. So, if the trail runs out after X yrs for Premiere, so be it. There will be many new models then that will have “real working FSD”.

54 Posts
As I mentioned to you on previous post, you don’t buy a premium brand MY just to slap on aftermarket accessories to compensate for their deficiency, and yet still pay over $57K for it. It’s NOT the same user experience. Nothing beats OEM HUD as the way it is intended for use. Also, please be careful using aftermarket display device as an add on because adding aftermarket accessories may void your warranty and or Tesla will refuse fault in case an accident occurs.

Having a glass dome with aftermarket sunscreen is fine. Still, what’s the point of having a nice glass dome when you can’t even open or shut it?

As for phone app to open the door while your phone is in your pocket, well that’s a huge problem for me. When I go to Home Depot, Trader Joe’s, or to my gym, I always leave my phone in the car. I don’t like bulky things in my pockets when I go to these places. See the problem? I prefer a car remote.

Using Voice control to operate the monitor is alway glitchy. We tried it on the Model 3. It’s frustrating user experience.

Ariya Premiere with Pro Pilot 2.0 cost $56K. If you want FSD for your MY, you will be paying $15,000 markup for something you probably don’t use very often. So, if the trail runs out after X yrs for Premiere, so be it. There will be many new models then that will have “real working FSD”.
That's not how warranties work. Reference the magnuson moss act.

I see having a key fob as carrying something extra that I don't have to. I always carry my phone, so it is convenient, as I suspect it is to 99% of all people.

Voice control has been flawless for us on the Model Y for both my wife and myself.

I don't need or want FSD, at least not at 15,000. The basic autopilot it includes already has the smart cruise control and auto steering on any street with markings.

I am glad you are looking forward to your Ariya. There are many reasons to like it. My wife is glad she got the model Y, and there are many reasons to like that as well. I have a ID4 Pro that I prefer to both the model Y and the Ariya as it cost around 35,000 after tax rebate. Every person has their own priorities, and each of these cars has different plusses and minuses depending on the person. I am glad there are multiple EVs out now that people can choose from.

186 Posts

I see having a key fob as carrying something extra that I don't have to. I always carry my phone, so it is convenient, as I suspect it is to 99% of all people.

Voice control has been flawless for us on the Model Y for both my wife and myself.

I don't need or want FSD, at least not at 15,000. The basic autopilot it includes already has the smart cruise control and auto steering on any street with markings.

I am glad you are looking forward to your Ariya. There are many reasons to like it. My wife is glad she got the model Y, and there are many reasons to like that as well. I have a ID4 Pro that I prefer to both the model Y and the Ariya as it cost around 35,000 after tax rebate. Every person has their own priorities, and each of these cars has different plusses and minuses depending on the person. I am glad there are multiple EVs out now that people can choose from.
I agree it's great there are more and more EVs out there to choose from! Now if I just could take the best features that I like from each of them, plus eligibility for the tax credit, and roll it all into one vehicle (in the color I want, of course 😆), with no dealer mark-up or shenanigans, ... oh well!

14 Posts
I agree it's great there are more and more EVs out there to choose from! Now if I just could take the best features that I like from each of them, plus eligibility for the tax credit, and roll it all into one vehicle (in the color I want, of course 😆), with no dealer mark-up or shenanigans, ... oh well!
Oh wouldn't that be nice. If I could get the Ariya with the handling and power of the Model Y at the same price as the Y. It'd be a no-brainer. :)

70 Posts
Greg:

Nice catch on the Propilot vs FSD of Tesla. I confess I'd forgotten that limitation. I can only say I would not pay for neither, for don't live in an area I expect to see mapped anytime soon. That said, when my son, an ER doc working stupid hours, replaces his summer car it will almost certainly be with a Tesla w/FSD. The risk of him falling asleep at the wheel is too great, and in his case FSD at any cost is priceless. More, few would argue that Tesla leads here.

I'm told hot spot tethering also removes traffic awareness (the red and yellow notation of slowdowns and etc). Not that I believe it, but my Tesla guy claims Tesla claims such use is against policy and will somehow punish me. I had pointed comments on that so he dropped same, but FYI. I'll try it both ways if mine comes in before tax credit situation changes, and assuming I don't decide to wait (and wait and wait) for my Ariya.

336 Posts

Oh wouldn't that be nice. If I could get the Ariya with the handling and power of the Model Y at the same price as the Y. It'd be a no-brainer. :)
It’s great to have many EVs to choose from however many legacy EVs are at a disadvantage without the $7500 IRA. If they can not sell EVs in volume because they are at a disadvantage with $7500 credit, then this will inhibit innovations from Tesla’s competitors.

The main decision for me to go with Ariya is Nissan’s 12 years of electrification experience. They got me as a customer because of it. It is a no brainer decision for me. Even without the $7500, they are still competitively priced while taking in other standard features not offered on MY.

· Super Moderator
275 Posts
Just FYI, Nissan offers this as a dealer-installed accessory. See Virtual Key on this page:
The Ariya also has voice controls, although I've not tried them out (intentionally - somehow activated it by accident once). I plan to play with it some at some point, but want to get more familiar with other things first.

In terms of this car vs. that car vs. the other car... There's a reason they're all different. Different people have different preferences, experiences, taste, needs, etc. Buy the one that suits you best. I'm pretty sure I did, and hopefully other people are also happy with their choice, whatever it is.

336 Posts
I forgot to mention that the Ariya sits taller and has higher ground clearance than the MY. Ariya is an SUV while the MY is really a crossover.

I will give MY the advantage as as a performance vehicle. However, at my age, any EV that has instant torque is good enough for me.

336 Posts
Just FYI, Nissan offers this as a dealer-installed accessory. See Virtual Key on this page:
The Ariya also has voice controls, although I've not tried them out (intentionally - somehow activated it by accident once). I plan to play with it some at some point, but want to get more familiar with other things first.

In terms of this car vs. that car vs. the other car... There's a reason they're all different. Different people have different preferences, experiences, taste, needs, etc. Buy the one that suits you best. I'm pretty sure I did, and hopefully other people are also happy with their choice, whatever it is.
Great find on the Ariya accessories. I will post the link over on the Ariya Accessories thread...

186 Posts
I forgot to mention that the Ariya sits taller and has higher ground clearance than the MY. Ariya is an SUV while the MY is really a crossover.

I will give MY the advantage as as a performance vehicle. However, at my age, any EV that has instant torque is good enough for me.
I think of the Ariya as an SUV, too, but for some reason it's grouped with "station wagons" -- Very strange.

136 Posts
And I also looked at the Polestar. Pffttt.
You should give it an extended look. I blew it off after my test drive (even though I thought the driving dynamics and 1-pedal were excellent). I rented it for 10 days and think it is the best handling EV with the perfect tuned 1-pedal of any EV. Just smooth linear acceleration and linear regen to a stop. Even with all that power. None of the Tesla jerkiness (heck most EVs).

Zero bad habits. Could not understeer or oversteer or slide the back out or torque steer it. And I own a BMW i4 which I consider one of the best handling EVs around.

90 Posts
Drove a friend’s MY LR yesterday and a dealer’s demo Ariya Engage today, on mixed highway and city roads. As expected, MY is faster and more responsive without flooring the acceleration pedal - Ariya is pretty fast flooring acceleration pedal on freeway entrance and can easily speed up and down through freeway traffic. I feel the Ariya has better seating and comfort for long drive, and more smooth for frequent stop and go traffic.
I think either car is the good choice if it fits your driving style and budget.

336 Posts
Drove a friend’s MY LR yesterday and a dealer’s demo Ariya Engage today, on mixed highway and city roads. As expected, MY is faster and more responsive without flooring the acceleration pedal - Ariya is pretty fast flooring acceleration pedal on freeway entrance and can easily speed up and down through freeway traffic. I feel the Ariya has better seating and comfort for long drive, and more smooth for frequent stop and go traffic.
I think either car is the good choice if it fits your driving style and budget.
I believe you said your Ariya will be pick up at Tustin Nissan. Have they called you yet? There are already several units at their lot.

161 - 180 of 250 Posts